Stripping model paintwork...

Over the years I’ve tried different methods for stripping paint but one I’ve settled upon fairly recently was recommended by US modellers, but isn’t as well known in the UK...
I bought a bottle of 91% IPA from eBay, and decanted it into an old glass jar. It’s important to keep it airtight, as much as possible, as well as the smell, it is hygroscopic, as in it absorbs atmospheric moisture and in doing so ceases to be 91% IPA. The weaker it gets the less potent...
Any how, you’ll need a bigger jar, or perhaps a Tupperware box for a larger model but N gauge modellers and those more interested in smaller OO locomotives will find this old mincemeat jar large enough. You can see the dregs of paint where chunks have literally peeled off at the bottom of the jar, and it’s murky, as I’ve just removed the paint on this Bachmann Class 08 shunter. The sediment will settle allowing me to pour it back into the plastic bottle carefully, before cleaning out the gunk in the jar before using it again.
Soak initially for 24 hours, and then use an old toothbrush to gently agitate the old paint, it may begin to scape off straight away, do this over the sink, preferably one you don’t mind about getting dirty. A little warm water actually seems to help. Careful of any details with the brush! Rinse thoroughly in warm water and dry carefully. Repeat as required. I usually find a second hour long soak removes most of the paint, a third soak might be needed for stubborn grills. I’ve used this approach on US and UK ready to run models with no adverse effect on the plastic used, and it eats through both Humbrol paints and varnishes as well as factory paintwork.
I hope that helps anyone out there looking to rework a model. It’s always best to start from bare plastic if you can, to stand the best chance of preserving the original detail of the mouldings. Every layer of paint takes away demo the crispness of that moulding. Let me know how you get on... and if you’d like me to detail, repaint and weather your model, now you know how some of this is done, drop me a note on the contact form for a personal proposal. More soon...

Comments

  1. Good tip on the 91% IPA... I would assume 99% (which I have a lot of) would work just as well or better?

    IPA is a lot more user friendly than brake fluid, which is what we used "back in the day"... That stuff is messy, but it did work great on enamel paints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d imagine it would work, the IPA doesn’t effect plastic. It’s just more expensive from what I can gather?

      Delete
    2. Ah, hygroscopic! Isn't spell-check wonderful.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Colin, obviously IPA wasn’t scared of outdoor spaces! Corrected.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.