Friday Update: Twenty-six Two Twenty-one...

I've been so tired this week, but I'm pleased that I've enjoyed and progressed both commission and personal modelling projects as well. The fatigue does begin to impact your mental health, and I've certainly been feeling lower in mood as well, however, I was so surprised by a parcel from Canada mid-week that my spirits were lifted...
Model Railroad Planning arrived, note the GE70t still standing on my Dad's trestle at the back of my desk!
A good friend sent me his copy of Model Railroad Planning (which itself looks to be a good read, I've been enjoying dipping into it each evening since) but it wasn't the content, but the act that lifted my mood. I don't think the sender could have sensed I was having a tough time, gosh overseas post especially takes an age, but the act of kindness was a healing balm that day.
The Backwoods Garrett is nearly finished - a few details have been added since this photo and it's now had a first blast of primer (it is being delivered ready for painting, rather than complete). The power units and valve gear were built by another professional many years ago, my handiwork is the boiler unit, and the smaller details on the tank tops. It's been an enjoyable, yet frustrating build - but I'll share more when I post the completed photos next week.
The green is slightly less yellow than it looks in this photo, tricked by the light and the outdoor colours.
I've also been moving forwards with the repainting of the U18B for my own personal Canadian project. This Intermountain model has been lightly detailed andprimed, I've also replaced the front coupler with longer shank to clear the snowplough. It's now had a coat of Humbrol 'Emerald green' No.2 - which is a reasonable match to the Terra Transport colour when new, but since it will be faded and weathered when complete it's close enough. The handrails have had a blast too, but I need to do the other side of those, and the front of the cab will be sprayed white. The walk ways, pilot ends and foot steps will be painted black by hand, as will the window rubber seals. The exhaust stack might be picked out in raw metal too, I need to study some photos - it's been good fun so far, and will be a spur of energy to progress Moncton...
The large scale model based around a G-gauge Bachmann GE side rod drive diesel is progressing. All the planking has been scribed and glued in place, so next up will be a cab floor, roof and then some wood framing on the windows along with bonnet covers. I plan to also use horizontal planks to cover the buffer beams. It's a monster of an engine, but looks very neat with the hand scribed wood. Why did I use hand scribed plastic rather than real wood? I wanted to control the finish more closely, and I am comfortable with hand carving. The other benefit will come with painting, the customer has requested a nice dark blue and the plastic is more easily primed and painted with spray cans than wood which would need sealing before priming, and then you'd loose some of the texture of the material.
Finally, a second parcel from Canada arrived (thanks Calvin), a True Line Trains Canadian National van (or Caboose, in American parlance). This is one of the earlier releases with a smooth roof, which is good, because I'mmeasuting up for some etched brass overlays to convert it into a plywood sheathed van suitable for the time period of my Canadian National Prince Edward Island cameo layout, Kinross.

I hope to finish off the Garrett today, and that means I've space to start the next etched commission, a Backwoods Taliesin, next week... I've not opened the instructions on that yet, that can wait for Monday. In the meantime I will need every second of rest and relaxation I can manage this weekend, but today, the sun shines, my workshop is bathed in second hand sunlight from the front room and I'm keen to finish early so I can go out for a short walk. I hope you can have an enjoyable weekend, I've got some interesting posts lined up for the weekend, so do check back. I'm also still accepting commission work, so if you've got a project do get in touch. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. The Garrett looks wonderful, but i have heard those backwoods kits can be tricky. With regards to sleep and mood, you can't underestimate how important it is. I've been trying to get plenty especially With two young children being home schooled during this lock down and having to work from home it's had its moments! Modeling has been a great antidote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick thank you, I’m glad the owner has someone else build the chassis units though! Good reflection too, thank you for being open, yes it’s a good tonic. I often feel blessed to have such a broad and mindful pastime.

      Delete
    2. The chassis units are interesting as the motor only just fits in the thick brass boxes the riveted wrapper goes around. I drilled holes in mine to correspond with the end of the armature to but a mm more space.

      Valve gear though - brilliant. All etched in the correct thickness. The last set took me 20 minutes to rivet together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.