Friday Update: Five Two Twenty-one...

Several steps forward this week, worthy of the Friday Update, so it's reprised for a second time so far this year, perhaps to continue for the rest of they year, we can hope...

This week has seen the publication of not one, but two blog posts that I'm really proud of - in all the years I've written about my model making these two are the culmination of that art, trying to weave a piece of writing and illustration into a form that evokes the same energy and enthusiasm I find in my work and hobby, in those that read about it. The first was the self reflective voyage of discovery designing a layout for my workshop, the second a collaborative and creative piece about prototype and layout design with friend and Canadian modeller, Chris Mears. If you've not seen these already, please do grab yourself a cup of tea (or coffee) and take a read.
My health is slowly returning, which is a massive relief. I am still very tired, and struggle to walk more than 10 minutes in the cold here in the valley, but the breathless-ness in day to day has gone and this week I've found enough concentration to begin work on customer model making commissions again.
Kinross, my H0 scale micro cameo layout based on Prince Edward Island.
I've managed to break (dropped from chair height) and repair my 7/8th scale Alan Keef, seen at the top of the post. We had a spell of dry weather when it was at it's coldest (wet again now) so I cleared the tramway for a quick play outside - I only managed a few minutes as it was so bitterly cold but it was lovely to see trains in the garden again. Similarly, Kinross (above) has been a real pleasure to look at this week, I've not made any more progress since last weekend, but I've ran the 70t up and down probably at least once a day, enjoying getting lost in the scene... the 70t has now been weathered, but sits as well in the picture as it did before really, which shows my approach in applying faded shades worked better than I had hoped in recreating the underlying condition of the model, even without further work.
The soldering iron has broken cover, and I've been working on this Backwoods standard gauge Garrett for a customer. The instructions are well written and the parts neatly etched, the only headache, and it is definitely a headache, is that as it's been previously started the parts have been removed from the etches, so I've got to hunt through to find them each time - thank goodness the illustrated drawings are so complete showing how parts fit together. More on this as it continues, but I've added details to the chassis, cab details, assembled the roof (which was tricky with all of the 0.45mm wire that needed forming and soldering in place) and the firebox. I enjoy working with different materials, it's been some time since I worked with brass, I'd forgotten the joy and speed with which a well designed kit comes together.
I've been experimenting with Humbrol's new enamel washes, I've used the dark grey one previously on some of the black North American models I've worked on, this time I've used the black. The benefit of a pre-made wash is it's consistent colour and transparency, and I feel I'm getting the hang of controlling their application and subsequent tidying up. These panel line washes are particularly effective on North American prototypes, with their myriad of doors and grills, and the contrast this lends to an otherwise flat factory finish can really lift a weathering job... I'll share more on this GP40 another time, it's one I've been working on in evenings alongside weathering the Claremont 44t earlier this week.
Finally, a sneak peak at another new project, a Planet Industrials pocket money kit, designed to add compressor cabinets (for airbrake conversion) and modified side opening rather than sliding doors to the Hornby Sentinel, recently re-issued in their range. These 3D printed parts will have etched overlays, along with some other details, and I'mhoping to stock them for under £20 in Light Railway Stores. However, before that the prints will need a small adjustment (which is why we do test prints and have a prototyping process). Marrying kit parts up to existing RTR models where you're reverse engineering their shape is a tricky business, and it's my job to get this right so you don't have to worry about unsightly gaps or poor fitting details. In the same delivery of parts a massive box of Ruston body parts arrived, so hopefully the 165DE is back on track for release shortly. Anyhow, it's been a rambling long update this week, it's good to have such a variety of work and news to share, I hope you've enjoyed working you're way through it. 

One last thing, if you're not signed up to the Planet Industrials newsletter (link at the bottom of the Pi page) and want to get the latest on Victory, sign up now, as we've got some more exciting news to share to our subscribers first...

In the meantime though, have a relying and enjoyable weekend, wherever you are and until next time, more soon...

Comments