On Video: Mindful Switching, Kinross...

Getting lost in our models, to focus on the task in hand and remove all other distractions is in effect, calming the mind and what I might suggest is a form of meditation...


I've been feeling really quite poorly for a few days now after contracting Covid a second time, last week. On the mend, too tired to sit at the bench I found myself burnt out from trying to rest, trying to read, TRYING to much to do things I wasn't able to do...

By focusing on the layout, and running trains for 15 minutes I managed to calm my mind and achieve that feeling of 'joy', smiling without laughing, in the moment, performing the role of engineer and conductor in my only little world. I filmed the experience, you don't see much of me but my nose, but trust me when I say I really enjoyed these minutes and I hope you can enjoy them as well. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. "... and I hope you can enjoy them as well. ..."
    Oh, I did.
    Thank you !
    Cheers
    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dirk. I’ll work on a Narrow Gauge video next, as requested ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, great, James !
      I do look forward for that then.
      Best wishes
      Dirk

      Delete
  2. From Alan Sewell

    Hi James

    And I hope the renewed blogs mean you are recovering from the worse of the Covid and its many variants.

    I enjoyed your blog/video of Kinross and agree very much with the therapeutic effect of a little ( or more ) switching. It has some very positive effects and perhaps there should be a book “Zen and the Art of the Rear Brakeman” to encapsulate that

    I try and run my layout several times a week if only to work through switching one location in the mill or the woods. I have found it seems to take almost as long to switch in H0 as in real life especially if you as I do take the “5-second rule” when throwing a switch or making a hitch and be sure to sound the horn before making a move. I have also adopted a “no more than three car shoving move“ rule which also slows down operations to a more leisurely pace.

    All this is the reason I do not use “fast clock” but have a clock face that I manually move on as each switching operation or train movement is complete. I also have a daily sequence of when cars need moving in or out of the various areas of my model mill. This also helps to give the feeling of time passing without too much stress

    Look forward to the next episode of the blog

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thanks for the comment and yes, I am past the worse of the Covid. Free at last today, celebrated with a short walk before getting into the workshop but feeling that now, it's really tired me out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.