SDL39 Spilt personality…

When I placed my pre-order for the ScaleTrains SDL39 last summer I was pondering how I would use it. I knew where it fitted in the TerraTransport story, and a timeline that placed it in Moncton late 1999/early 2000 but it was going to be 'museum quality' and I was unsure how I felt about doing anything too drastic to such a model...


Those familiar with the faux history of TerraTransport both pre and post-CN privatisation will realise that the regional shortline expanded from it's CN days of Newfoundland, Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia and Halifax South Western divisions by adding the Dartmouth Terminal and Dominion Atlantic in the early 2000s. One story left to tell is how the fledgling operation on Prince Edward Island joined the fold - and that's a story that I'm sure Chris and I will tell in time.


However, that meant the SDL39, which would be a perfect replacement for the aging 1000 series GMD1s on PEI, could perhaps be lettered for the line in a TerraTransport style whilst remaining in it's Wisconsin Central paintwork? To that end one side was stripped of the factory lettering and a CN style 582 added on the cab with a green sticker added underneath with 'PEIR'. This places it right at the start of TerraTransport on the island, in time I'm sure the locomotive would gain the overall emerald green and white once shopped, but for the remainder of 2000 it could be trialled across the remaining trackage on the island.


That has meant I have been able to preserve the Wisconsin Central lettering on the second side, so I have a locomotive of two halves. There is no reason why TT wouldn't have considered buying the fleet of 10 'branchline' locomotives. With 2300hp and an axle weight that allows use on 60lb rail they'd be perfect for a number of our lines, even tip toeing where the lightweight U18B couldn't reach! In which case, initial trials would see the locomotive retain it's original identity.


The model gives me both options and I'm enjoying it on the layout this week. The weathering is my usual mix of washes, airbrushing and dry brushing, which don't form part of this story but search for weathering on the blog and you'll find the process described plenty of times. Instead, the message here is how to weave unlikely models into your back story, and small touches you can achieve to boost that illusion. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. From Alan Sewell
    Hi James

    Hope you are getting over the worse of Co-vid

    Liked your blog on the SDL39 split with a personality. Have to say I was tempted by the loco when Scale Trains announced but felt I could not justify a one off unit from a small class making it to the banks of the Columbia River in Washington State. However since Wisconsin Central was acquired by CN then the whole or part of the class being transferred to Terra Transport fits well into your story. I can also see that trying to preserve the paint scheme would be a consideration.

    I have a “history” for my model railroad operation starting with tracks being spiked down on a skid road back in 1905 to consolidation the short line and expanded pulp mill rail operations around 2015. This enabled me to acquire one of the Rapido Trains SW1200RS in CP livery. I decided like you not to do a full repaint so said it was a Lease unit acquired from CP, and then purchased by my mill company. That meant all I had to do was paint out the CP lettering, and add small AFP (Andrews Forest Products) lettering on the cab side. Like you I kept the road number. I was inspired in doing this by seeing similar unit at Great Western Malting in Vancouver, Washington.

    I have sent a photos of the SW1200RS in model and prototype to your e-mail address.

    Look forward to seeing some photos of the SDL39 on your layout

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes the opportunity for the SDL39 fits well with the TerraTransport story and timings well, and it’s a lovely model. The photos of your SW1200RS show a similarly transformed unit, that sits well with your story. Thanks for sharing them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.