Terra Transport U18B: Finished...

I think this one is done... I love the way a model comes to life at the end of the modelling process, and my hopes for this green machine have been met with a work worn finish...
These photos can do the talking, this is just a basic Intermountain model with a very light detailing and makeover, and then a full strip and repaint into a ‘what if’ freelance Terra Transport green livery. I was in two minds about the overall green, but by shying away from the CP Rail / BC Rail end striping, and from the CN solid end colours I feel the scheme is plausible. Yes, it has nods to other Canadian roads, the numbering is CN style (from a GTW sheet) and the reflective dots are CP Rail, but the overall effect is subtle and believable.
The weathering job is my usual mix of methods and happy accidents. The panel line wash was a good foundation, and then the airbrushed exhaust and road dirt. There was a little too much overspray on one side, which I cleaned off with white spirit and a flat brush resulting in a lovely finish, and then blended the roofline in with more exhaust, one of those mistakes you can turn you your advantage.
The final step was dry-brushing some gun metal on the foot ways and step edges, along with the under frame, these subtle metal highlights adding a richness to the finish. This is a ‘layout model’ so I’ve not gone to town on the detail, I want it to sit well in a scenic layout setting, but be robust enough to be handled on and off the layout without damage. I think that balance can vary from loco to loco, and for this model it’s resulted in a few extra details like grab irons on the front ploughs...


I could add a crew and detail the interior of the cab, but for now I’ll pop it away safely whilst the layout is built, and the weathering can harden and dry thoroughly which means a more robust finish. I’ve said previously, there is a lot more to write about my Terra Transport ‘what if’ scheme, for now I’ve a lovely model and time to contemplate if the line would also have rostered freight cars, and if so what types, and what liveries... for now though, the sun is coming out, a walk beckons, and perhaps some work on Kinross. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Absolute beautiful job. Can't wait to see what other equipment you come up with for your TerratTransport Railway. I was thinking of doing some MOW equipment and container cars for mine. The rest of the cars would be off island cars owed by other railways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, my background gives me much more freedom Jason, I intend to use the U18B as local switcher in Moncton, if you click the first link it explains a bit more....

      Thanks for the kind words. Good luck with your own project.

      Delete
  2. Again, I find myself getting sucked in to your concept. My only thought is to use the BN green and black scheme if only for a bit more visual interest.

    Not a critique mind you, just a personal preference.I'm not sure if the logo placement would work then, so perhaps this truly is best.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, thank you, I think the black roof would make the units look like BN cast offs... you might lessen the green with white rear bonnet, perhaps a solid white sill stripe too... personally, I like it though. If it wasn’t weathered it would be too much but with life in the finish she looks well on the shelf here infront of me.

      Recreating something similar just needs Black Cat Publishing’s TT container decals, a set of GTW and CP Rail Microscale decals to get the numbers and sill spots...

      Delete
    2. James, since my modern era modeling is in Proto48 these days, I'll have to "roll my own" for decals. I've solved the logo part, now I just need to sort the lettering fonts.

      I've got a Red Caboose GP9 and a pair of brass flexicoils I had planned on using to recreate one of the CN lightweight Geeps. This seems like a much cooler alternative.

      Cheers,

      Chris

      Delete
    3. Chris I can prepare decals in any scale, let me know if you need help.
      Sounds exciting! Happy to have inspired...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.