Bagnall IST in 006.5: Complete...

Seeing this latest scratch built 006.5 model takes me full circle with the scale, and at the same time is a time machine transporting me to Canal Street Wharf 100 years ago...
It’s been a lovely gentle stress free build, as something for myself alongside the commission modelling, kit design and development and standard gauge Planet Industrials RTR adventures... a tonic to the hustle and bustle, working with tiny hand cut pieces of styrene and brass whilst trying to work to keep the character of the prototype yet obviously something of my hand.
The biggest challenge was modifying the Busch feldbahn NS2f chassis to represent an inside framed rod driven example as they don’t offer something in their range. In the end I pushed the flycranks in, cut down the axles and filed the ends flat, and fitted rods from a surplus Deutz example. This has worked quite nicely and retains the performance (slow, controllable but noisy) of the donor. 
I was keen to represent as much of the cab interior as possible, yet didn’t want to resort to designing parts in etch or 3D, so it’s a raid of the bits box. The top of the dome is a buffer head, the wheels and gauge from etches of various origin, other parts all cut from rod or styrene and formed to shape. Paintwork hides a multitude of sins and ties the lot together neatly. The lack of daylight under the boiler is hidden by a pair of clack valves (parts box again, I think from the Narrow Planet Barclayfication) and lever. The other side has gained a bucket and oil can, strategically placed either side of the lever linkage.
Finished in a warm light brown leather colour, the finishing touch are some transfers I designed with yellow edged in black panels, with inverted curved corners and a painted, shaded name on the IST sides. At some point I will source a pair of tiny works plates to finish it off... and possibly a suitable driver! For now I’m enjoying watching Nell circle the wharf and relax after a busy week. The perfect tonic, a micro layout can provide instant access. Until next time more soon...

Comments

  1. Rather nice that. Has interest in 6.5 waned in general do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure how much there ever was Paul. I did the kits because I wanted to, they’ve been consistent but not big sellers unlike the stalwarts (the NP Bagnalls and O&K). However it feels a shame we’ve not seen another mechanism out of Busch, a three axle with smaller magnets between the axles would work, in the space, and open up a lot more prototypes... I’d definitely do a Brian Clarke Black Hawthorn, as well as a ‘large’ Exmoor...

      Delete
    2. Its certainly niche. I thought it would appeal to those with a liking for tiny layouts, but perhaps the cost of the chassis and track is off-putting.
      My own interest is 6mm rather than 6.5, although very little has happened so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.