Ffestiniog Mountaineer 1987...

Early summer 1987 and a trip from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog behind Mountaineer was a rare treat for myself and my brothers...
Dad had gone to Canada for a teaching post over the summer, and we had a family friend visiting so Mum took us all over to the railway. I didn't actually remember this trip, instead remembering the first, hauled by Linda, but I thought since there seems to be a universal love of the plucky Alco that I'd share these two photos on the blog - they were taken on an old 110 format camera, so the quality isn't great, but it's obvious that on this day at least, it wasn't raining!
I'm centre in this photo, it's a nice capture of the three of us, but the train fascination really only sits deeply in me, with the others more interested in football and cars in their teens... I've recently dug through a load of old photos so I've got a few other childhood images to share, that help tell the story of why I'm here today doing what I do and how the thread of those steel rails has tied together every chapter of my life in one way or another. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. For most 110 cameras they aren't bad. The Pentax SLR one was something else though!

    In retrospect I loved Mountaineer in that period because the cab was such an improvement on the previous monstrosity, which oddly, I now look back on with affection. As long as I never see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James as always, thanks for the comment and reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you scan it, BTW, from a print or a negative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re just snaps on my iPhone straight from the photo album.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.