Creech Grange archive uncovers old photo...

This old photograph was recently found by the archivists working at Creech Grange in Dorset, and shows the minimum gauge railway that ran between the LSWR Swanage branch and the hall at Creech...
Pictured is Heywood ‘Alex’, a direct copy of Eaton Hall’s Katie, and a rake of typical top wagons arriving at the rail side wharf in around 1905. This previously unseen photo is rare as it has been taken from the Earl’s land, so must have been a commission shot, perhaps deliberately documenting the railway in this sylvan setting. The minimum gauge, as promoted by Heywood, was a practical 15” gauge system that despite his best efforts never saw widespread use...
Of course, this is actually my 006.5 model of Creech Grange, my first micro layout in this scale built a few years ago... the model itself is a scratch built model using a Busch feldbahn mechanism that has been extensively modified, despite being over gauge the scale locomotive is tiny, and was a labour of love! I am lucky to be able to use etch and 3D design for my own projects on occasion. 

The beauty of the scale is its versatility. The narrow tracks really make an emphasis of narrow gauge, and it’s compact size makes it possible to build fully scenic models in a very small space. Until next time, more soon...


Comments

  1. I must admit halfway through building my Cadeby micro layout the thought occured to me that I could have squeezed that little bit more in had I gone for British outline HOf.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.