Friday Update: Twelve Three Twenty-one...

More progress on a few familiar commissions and a new, yes new, micro layout this week, read on with your morning coffee (or beverage of choice at any time) for more...

Here is Taliesin, about as progressed as possible before I receive the replacement drive shaft universal joint components from NWSL in the US (they’ve been dispatched so it’s just a waiting game). The bodywork has been man handled in to shape and soldered together, nothing except the chimney in this photo is glued. There are a few details to add to the chassis but I want to test run it next really. The kit is supplied with both a white metal and brass dome, I have taken the latter and polished it lightly in a drill, there is probably more to be done in this manner. I’ve also left all the handrails off as the prototype are polished brass. I may get some primer on the body early next week to avoid it tarnishing in handling and so I can measure up for the custom decals I will design and have made - and I may speak to Steve at Narrow Planet about some name and works plaster as those in the kit are distinctly average.

Second this week has been pushing forwards this work of whimsy, a large scale model or a minimal gauge diesel built by Paddington! The woodwork is carved styrene, all in place, as is a canvas roof. I’ve begun to add the under frame details and there are a few items to address including engine cooling and a battery box for a seat, all good fun.
This pair of ‘childhood models’ were repainted longer ago than I care to remember, but I’ve begun the process of weathering them (if you can tell!). The work starts with a wash, mixed from my old favourites Humbrol 33 black and 98 chocolate. This is applied in varying mixes and consistency to the under frame first, working up eventually to the roof. Next will be some detailed micro painting of rust and streaking before airbrush road dirt finished with dry brushed gunmetal to add some highlights to the metal edges. The pair will see service on the feed mill spur on my larger (as yet unstarted) Canadian layout.
Finally, this week is progress on yet another micro - I’ve pushed forwards with Coy in a box. It’s experimental and I had the MDF in stock. Whilst waiting for parts to dry on customer commissions I decided to try and re-invigorate the modelling mojo, try out a few ideas and see where the path took me - the aim is not a completed model although that would be lovely, more a journey of ideas on both micro layout techniques and some ideas around modelling run down track I’d like to try.
I was keen to try out soldered magnets for both alignment and power. Not seen above, they are now fitted by drilling into the ends of the board, and then a smaller hole drilled from the top, on an angle down to meet, and threading the wire through this before supergluing the magnet into the hole, remembering it needs to be slightly proud and make contact with its mate, if you want to transmit power (not necessary if only for alignment). These seem to work so that was a success, and there is a short video on my Facebook page about it, next will be smoothing the track bed as I’ve a few gradients included, on purpose, to try and capture the look of the prototype in some manner despite using left over Code 100 and 75 track, whip is heavier than I would like... needs must, it is good to make use of it in these days of careful and responsible use of resources.

I’m sure both this, and the hoppers will get a blog post of their own over the next week or so... until next time, have a good weekend more soon...


Comments