Friday Update: Five Three Twenty-one...

This has been a busy week with lots happening ‘behind the scenes’ rather than physical models, I’ve still got a few things to include this Friday...
The most exciting news this week was the delivery of the Planet Industrials 21t MDO livery sample from Accurascale. We’ve kept this under our hats for several months, wanting to announce when we had physical models to hand, and it was wonderful to see our idea become a reality. These wagons by Accurascale are truly ‘another level’ in terms of the finesse. The wheels are 88 profile, rather than the usual 110, this means they’re ‘semi scale’ and have a narrower tread to go with the neat RP25 flange profile, superb doesn’t really do them justice... but more than that, the brake gear is sublime, thin where it should be, layers and complex too, it’s wonderful design and tool making and shows the art of the possible, this is the first of an ‘older style’ wagon from them, and it bodes well for more to come.
Pre-production sample, we’ve changed the orange so sunglasses are no longer required!
The only downside was the radioactive shade of orange! We specified washed out orange and dark grey, inspired but not an exact replica of Grimethorpe, but that hadn’t translated well in model form. We hold our hands up, this wasn’t right, and was our choice. Luckily the good chaps at Accurascale were able to facilitate a change at the factory and we’ve specified a darker, duller shade that won’t require sunglasses!
I couldn’t resist weathering our sample though, so once the spring centred NEM mounts were removed I added a few washes and then toned things down with the airbrush. The result isn’t finished, but shows the promise of a rake of these, distinctive internal user wagons will have on a layout. They’re available to pre-purchase now for £74.95 including UK delivery, we’re expecting them to arrive this summer and it’s a limited run, not to be repeated in these colours, so if you fancy a rake for your factory or industry then pick up a few sets, multiple purchases get a specific and unique transfer pack to allow you to renumber up to 9 wagons allowing a full 12 wagon rake to be represented.
Whilst the airbrush was out I’ve progressed my Terra Transport liveried U18B. This is beginning to really come to life especially now the glazing has been refitted. I’m excited to share these early shots, I’ll share more over the weekend when I can finish off the model with some drybrushing. I’ve got further writing about the whole Terra Transport concept to come, so expect that in the next few weeks too...
I designed some number board transfers that have worked exactly as I hoped, allowing light to shine thought the white numbers, they look great and really finish it off. Note the hood isn’t quite pushed down home in this view, a weakness of the Intermountain design, the hood and foot way being separate allows the slight movement between these components to manifest itself in a gap at the rear. 
Finally, I’m exceptionally proud of this, the power bogie for an 009 commission build of the Backwoods Miniatures Taliesin single Fairlie kit. I have been feeling tired and worn out since Christmas after Covid, this is the first time I’ve sat down and worked slowly, methodically and carefully on something so fiddly and it works really smoothly. However, the plastic for the universal joints in the drive train have aged, and brittle. I ascertained these were originally from NWSL so have ordered a replacement set form the USA, in the meantime, next week, I can progress the bodywork.
If you’ve not had a chance to read yesterday blog, it’s another collaboration with Chris Mears and was a lot of fun to put together. It’s hopefully well worth a read, do let me know what you think, Chris and I have a few more ideas to share in a similar vein...

I’m hoping for a relaxing weekend, I’ve a few little jobs to do on Kinross, and I may make a start on a Claremont Paper project layout next, as I’m still waiting on parts fro all my British modelling projects. I hope you’ve enjoyed another rambling Friday post, in the meantime, if you think I can help with your dream model then I’m taking commissions, get in touch for a personal proposal. More soon...

Comments