Terra Transport U18B: Little green loco...

A few weeks ago I shared a 'what if' about Terra Transport (the Canadian National subsidiary set up in 1979 to delineate the loss making lines of Newfoundland from the rest of the system), as part of that describing a 'typical' unit that perhaps may have featured in the make up of power on the system, the General Electric U18B...

I shared a mock up in that post of the model, but now I'm pleased to show a few photos of the physical result of this project. The base Intermountain model has been lightly improved, I've replaced the Mexican model's horns, I've re-worked the front end adding a mini anti-climber, plough and replaced the hoses... I've also removed the marker lights on the ends of the hoods, and added a bell on the side of the hood and antenna on the roof. Still to come are some improvements to the under frame detailing.
The model was stripped down, and the parts were primed in grey (as seen last time) and the painted in Humbrol number 2, gloss 'emerald green' which is a touch less yellow than my usual Humbrol 131. My partner remarked today what a lovely colour it is, and it is, these photos struggle to do it justice. The markings are from a blend of sources - the TerraTransport decals are from the container transfers marketed by Black Cat Publishing (TTWX#201-H), the cab side numbers are GTW (87-650) Microscale, as are the foot board messages. The fire extinguisher symbol, F and white reflective spots are from Microscale CP Rail markings (87-733) and the number boards were custom designed and made especially for this project.
It is still some way from being complete, but I'm excited to see it at this stage, so naturally wanted to share it on the blog. A few things I'm really happy with are the orange corner handrails, a nod to it's Mexican origins. These were carefully masked during painting, and are the base orange colour. I've also use a panel line wash which has worked really nicely to relieve the slab sided effect - this was with a darker green, Humbrol Matt 30, and has set off the basic finish well. I will work these both into an overall weathered but well looked after finish, including the under frame, and share when that is complete and the glazing has been refitted.
I've never been a big fan of General Electric models with their little snub noses and squashed cab roofs, but actually, when you look at the U18B, it is a really cute little model. It's only the length of a 50ft box car yet punches out 1800hp from a distinctive sounding 8 cylinder engine... I cannot wait to see it shuffling up and down my Beaverbrook (Moncton) Canadian layout in the future...

Although this is very much a personal project, I hope it shows that if you've got a model you'd like me to re-work, repaint, dream up a new livery with you, I can offer a design and realisation end to end service. Get in touch for a personal proposal. Until next time, more soon...


Comments

  1. That looks fantastic! I think your choice of a "U Boat" for Newfoundland is genius. It seems very appropriate for the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, that’s very kind. Yes, perhaps, there is something about these baby U boats that appealed to me after seeing the Seaboard units on light duties, and the story of Maine Central’s units...

      Delete
  2. Love the green! Not a big fan of the "trade in" EMD Blomberg bogie frames, but I don't like the stock GE bogie frames either. I've always thought that the "trade in" AAR type B bogie frames looked best on these locomotives.

    This is up to your usual excellent standard James...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff I probably tend to agree on the trucks, but Terra Transport had no choice on what the original purchasers had specified.... ;)

      I can’t wait for to weather it properly.

      Delete
    2. Please don't take what I said about the trucks as a critique on your choice James! The model looks great! Looking forward to seeing your weathering job...

      Delete
  3. Looks great, nice clean image - perfect for you backstory. A few Canadian storylines acquired used GEs, the CF Baie des Chaleur is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s good information, thanks Nick, and thanks for the comments.

      Delete
  4. Great minds think alike, I painted two Dash-8 GE engines in my what if Terratransport scheme. The only difference with my units was I included white stripes on the front and black and white stripes on the rear of unit. Basically the CP Rail multimark scheme without the multimark and green paint instead of red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to see that Jason, and isn’t it strange we both chose GE units!

      Delete
    2. I can't seem to log into my old flickr account so I created a new one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/192349591@N03

      Delete
    3. Jason, superb, they look great.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, as does yours. The three of them would look great lashed up, well when I finish mine, been busy lately, they have been in this state for about 3 months now.

      Delete
    5. They look great Jason! Nice work...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.