A tiny Bagnall IST in 006.5

I’ve not scratchbuilt a narrow gauge locomotive for some time, in fact I can’t remember the last non-prototype kit 009 or 006.5 model I made...

I have wanted to build an early Bagnall IST for some time, ever since I found Roy Link’s writing in an early MRJ. They’re peculiar to our more modern eyes with inside frames and cylinders. 
I’ve chosen works number 300, late of the Colton Tramway at the end of the West Dorset Mineral railway, and 006.5 rather than the over width 009 which would have meant a wider body.
This diminutive machine is tiny, and uses a modified Busch feldbahn H0f NS2 diesel chassis. I removed the rods and jack shaft, pushed the flycranks in, snipped off the protruding axles, filed them flat and added Busch rods from their Deutz. This was then build arohnd; even cutting down in places to allow the boiler to fit. You can see the chassis in the centre section where there should be an undercut boiler and clear air, however the flip side of this compromise is the clear cab and back head detail... 
I’ve primed and begun to smooth this model, and am now planning to paint it brown with some custom lining transfers. It’s a peculiar and fitting tribute to the late Roy, a real inspiration to me as a modeller and professional. Until next time, more soon...


Comments

  1. What a super little model James. I also first became aware of the Bagnall IST through Roy's writings. As you say, a bit strange to modern eyes. How about a 4mm scale version of Crowsnest for it to run on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had considered such a scheme, but suspect, if anything, a small pizza might suffice. Saying that, I suspect it will look at home on Creech Grange when it’s finished.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.