Fruits of lock down...

Exactly one year ago we all sat around shocked, even scared, not sure what the future would hold, reeling form the news that the UK would be going into a complete and total lock down...
Pont-y-dulais with Hornet on shed.
For model makers that 'time back' has proven to be a boom, and I've found that although my work output has been dramatically effected by home schooling, my imagination and creativity have been great tonics to the outside world's uncertainty. However, on a day of reflection, to remember those who have suffered, those we have lost and in thanks to all those that have helped it seemed poignant to put a 'play list' together of models and moments that tell the story...

First model - Pride of Gwent
Started just days after the first lockdown, my model of Pride of Gwent was supposed to be a welcome distraction and in all honesty, and in hindsight a blind hope, I expected would mark the start and end of lockdown. Alas, not to be, but it was a fun little project with some neat touches with the Hornby buffers, a custom turned exhaust and some home designed and professionally printed number and name decals.

The layout - Pont-y-dulais
I had planned something like this before, but if it wasn't for lockdown I'm not sure the layout would have been finished. This proved to not only be a successful modelling project, but the ability to just 'play with trains' once the track was down was a great tonic throughout all the lock down periods. I wrote about that accessibility on Phil Parker's blog as a guest writer.

A distraction - Claremont and Concord
Through a mutual friend I started sharing email with Chris Mears in Canada, and as a result have had great conversations about design, and resulted in a series of joint blog posts. As well as design, I'm really proud of this little model of Claremont and Concord number 31, built with a Bachmann model but featuring a set of decals Chris posted to me to use on my model. One day, it's own layout will have another blog post, in the meantime, the little red diesel is full of character and is just a 'happy model' to look at in my collection.

Second layout - Kinross
It seems fitting that my lockdown experience has been book-ended by micro cameo layouts, and the adventures with my Prince Edward Island layout have been well documented here, what I will say is that building small layouts gives a real chance for skills practice, and to try out and learn from using new methods, as well as perhaps scratching a prototype itch you've wanted to try out for some time. 

I hope you've managed to take some time today to reflect, and I hope this period in our lives has allowed you time take some time out and spend it in your own hobby. I wonder what the next twelve months will hold for us all, although I'm sure modelling will continue to be a welcome escape at times, and a joy to share at others. Until next time, more soon...



Comments