Commission: Ruston LB in 7/8ths…

Another milestone, the first of the first production batch of Ruston LB in 7/8ths rolls off the workbench…


This model is a unique example, my customer needed a cab that would fit under a tippler structure on his railway. Because each of my models is a truly custom one off, even though some elements are manufactured, I could incorporate this requirement into the finished model, designing a cut down roof that has the hall marks of a Ruston product. This meant I decided to angle the exhaust and have it pointing out the opposite side of the cab, to avoid filling the cab with fumes when under the tipper, a nice touch and the exhaust staining on the front of the cab shows just how sooty this would have been otherwise!


The finish is looked after, mechanically sound, but well used. Dusty deposits, oil and grease, a few scratches and a rusty roof, but otherwise a finish that shows care and attention. I applied various washes and combined this with micro painting, polishing, dry brushing and airbrushing.



I think the result feels believable and lived in, lifting the model and blending the various elements together into a coherent whole. The etched works plates really lift the finish, and the half relief engine has been painted bright green to show out through the etched metal side covers.


Each one of this years batch will be different. This first pair are 32mm gauge and feature the outriggers along the frame added by Ruston for any LB that were not 2ft gauge. The 18" examples had to have the drive chains mounted outside the wheels, as does my own model. You can also pick out the sanding gear between the axles when looking down at eye level.


I am very happy with the finish, and it's so exciting to get to this point. I'm afraid this years batch is sold out, but if you are happy to order now, then I will hold the 2022 prices (£1330) for next year. Interested parties can get in touch via the contact form, and a non-refundable £130 deposit will put your name on the list. I am currently working up the next 7/8ths project, probably the long awaited Ruston Proctor, but there is also something else unusual in the pipeline that I'd like to develop jointly with my good friend Steve Milner, but we will have to see which crosses the line first, so to speak. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. That looks so good... so how do we persuade you to do a 44-48?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news, I can do a 44/48, or anything similar, for the same price…

      Delete
    2. Excellent. So, I just have to choose a specific prototype....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.