Commission: Narrow gauge Ruston 165DE…

Now this is something different, using 16.5mm gauge to represent narrow gauge in 1/76 scale! Representing 3'6" (which would be 14mm), this isn't really any worse than using it to represent standard gauge when you think about it...


The model you see here, a Ruston 165DE modified from a Planet Industrials kit with a custom designed 3D printed core which stretched the bonnet and footplate (as per the prototype actually) mated with a Hornby Sentinel 0-6-0 chassis has been a real delight to work on. Whilst my customer was keen to specify the overall requirements and colours, the details themselves and how to create this model have been all down to me, and I've really enjoyed it. The photograph in the Ruston book (above) was the inspiration and although this model isn't of a particular prototype it draws on practice from other overseas export locomotives from British manufacturers.


The cab features a dual skin roof (giving a clue to the fact we're talking 'hotter' climbs). The buffers and draw gear are gone, replaced by a knuckle coupler, adding to the narrow gauge feel along with the outside frames. The custom 3D core could make use of the etched parts from the existing kit as the cab and bonnet doors are taken straight from the existing Planet Industrials kit.


Under the hood is fitted a Zimo sound decoder, small capacitor and speaker (not much room for much else though), fitted with Digitrains Ruston 165 sound file (unfortunately there isn't a 165DE, I suspect it's a mechanical recording). This is a Paul Chetter (I think) creation and it's a pleasure to play with, a real driving experience like on the forthcoming Planet Industrials 'Victory'.


Creating a model like this, blending prototype and imagination requires an approach where you almost caricature the real thing. A skill I guess I've learnt over many years of modelling is choosing what elements are important to include, and which can be overlooked, for example the solitary front headlamp. Anything more would perhaps have felt o contrived? To finish the model off she's been lightly weathered. Not so much to suggest a long hard life, but enough for a lived in finish, a blend of washes, dry brushing and airbrush in the usual manner (and one that I intend to talk about further in a new book next year I think...).


So there you have it, a locomotive that is familiar yet unique, a real tool to do a real job on my customers future railway. A caricature, but not in the traditional sense, more of selecting which details to include and which to ignore. A workhorse, one to be part of the bigger scene but with enough personality to warrant a second look. If you have a similar need, even if not for the specific model, rather the 'style' of the model then do get in touch for a personal proposal - the contact form is on the menu on this website, or you can find me on Facebook and send me a message there. I work in scales from N to 1/12, any gauge, any prototype and really revel in these more bespoke creations. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Really good to see the Ruston completed and hope you can do a video to hear it working.
    It looks like those big Rustons on the Tharsis system in southern Spain and that was four foot gauge so 00 track is just right.
    I am planning to build a mining railway to let my grandsons and I use and use some 4mm scale and not US stock I have acquired over time. Since I will running this in Edinburgh and Tharsis, and to an extent Rio Tinto, were Scottish companies it will have the Spanish (or South American) theme based on those two companies. The Ruston would fit in very well

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - even better, perfect even! I do hope you enjoy it. I should have a video sorted, but I'm currently working on a Planet Industrials newsletter that needs to go out at lunchtime - very exciting times here...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.