Something different in 009…

It has been nearly a year since my last narrow gauge kit, the Narrow Planet O&K (and shortly after, the EuroNG version) but I’ve not forgotten the scale, in fact this is the first of a few projects along similar lines, but what are we looking at?


This is a ‘generic’ version of a Huwood Hudswell underground mine locomotive. Based upon prototype dimensions, it happily fits around a lightly modified Bachmann N gauge Percy chassis (with cylinders removed), These prototype parts have identified a few areas of tweaking on production parts, to both etch and 3D items, but the promise of what this holds is clear to see in this diminutive model. The cab will be optional and variations maybe included in the kit, or as additional parts (such as a ‘surface’ cab). The Percy chassis is a solid performer, sure footed and smooth. This contrasts with the Farish 04 which would have been the other obvious option for our first ‘mine’ locomotive, these can run very well indeed, but often don’t. Perhaps we’ll revisit this with the new Farish 03 chassis which I’m told is much improved.


The compromise here is no jack shaft. I wanted this kit to be easy for the new comer to assemble, and adding replacement rods and the necessity to cut drill and modify the chassis would have put many off such a kit. You see, I’m aiming this at a new market, the OO modern image modeller looking for an industrial 009 narrow gauge feeder, perhaps to a colliery setting?


That means we also need some suitable ‘modern’ coal tubs. This design uses a 3D printed chassis to which brass inside bushes are inserted and the wheels fitted, the pinpoint axle ends can be left and painted, or cut off carefully as I have done here. Etched details include brake shoes and brake levers for each end. The mine tub itself is a hollow 3D print with interior bracing detail, an etched floor completes this, and then it is simply glued to the chassis. This means I can add different ‘tops’ to this generic industrial heavy duty chassis in time. I’ve a few ideas…


Together, I hope they will allow 009 modellers to replicate new and interesting prototypes. Of course, similar machines have also found their way onto preserved railways, and I’m sure many existing 009 modellers will find a home for such an ugly prototype in their stable. For now, I need to get some details and paint on it, check the finish and modify the artwork before pressing the button on sourcing production parts. I expect to see these available before Christmas. Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. Good idea, I've said for years that decent modern-ish mine tubs are worth doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.