Ugly duckling never the swan (N part 28)…

This is N. There I've said it, and I will refrain from repeating that for the next few paragraphs. It has been a few weeks since I've shared progress on one of my own locomotive detailing / weathering projects and it's exciting to put these out today...

I have found such energy and personal growth working in this new scale, and the potential of re-working N scale models (both locomotives and stock) to run on this (Paxton Road) and future (wait and see - possibly Drinnick) layouts is really firing my imagination at present whilst the Canadian H0 slumbers (although do not fear, I have been operating Beaverbrook this week, it's lure is still strong). When I started this 'N gauge' journey it was a chance to explore if I could achieve what I wanted using this smaller scale. Historically I've always found the modelling to be not quite subtle and sharp enough for my own taste but through careful observation of skills practice, deep thought on approach and trusting my instincts I've learnt that I can build 'scale' track and turnouts, build realistic structures, lay ground cover and grow trees all using methods I have learnt and practiced over many years. The intention was never to build locomotives from kits, re-chassis models, re-wheel wagons - rather to show that by careful attention to the other details, and a holistic approach to scene composition (as espoused in the book) that the same approach I've developed (and championed to some extent) in OO could equally apply in N. 

That being said, of course there are ways we can use N that are impossible in the larger scale, but consistent finish, consistent palette and a subtle eye for detail will still remain the hall marks of my work in the scale. That is why practicing my weathering techniques and ideas in the smaller scale was as important as building that turnout...

The Class 22, the North British diesel hydraulic Type 2 were never the prettiest of locomotives but their short lives were spent doing the sort of work that make them very useful for us modellers - trip freights, branch line service across the West Country. The Dapol N model, to my untrained eye, is one of their better attempts at capturing the character of the prototype (for me the 26 (and 33) and 50 also fall in this camp - others less so), and it's great to work on, running quietly and smoothly with fine detail fitted from the factory. All I've done are cut off the bogie mounted NEM coupling mounted, fitted a DG coupling each end (without the loop) and the supplied plastic hoses. Weathering is a wash of Humbrol 33/98 on the under frame making it darker in the shadow areas. The body uses the same colours, carefully painted on around panels and door seams before a wide flat brush, dipped in thinners was used to remove and gently streak this down the bodywork and softening the edges. Finishing touches were a spray from the airbrush on the roof and along the lower edge of the bodyside.

I was so excited with the result, I sent these photos to Chris as my original N scale instigator...

I love this effect of the inside leaking out through the panels. The detail in your weathering makes this so enjoyable to study. One of those N scale “tells” is always a byproduct of big wheels spreading the truck frames outward so that N scale US diesels sort of look like US “monster” trucks. Yet on this model Dapol have still kept everything beautifully tucked in.


Chris notes something interesting, the balance of 'wheels' and bodywork seems much better in British N than North American prototypes. Dapol (and Farish, although not on the 37) seem to have managed to balance course flanges and ride height nicely - the 50 especially so... here with the 22, the character of the model is well represented and the factory finish (errors like the BR logo aside!) is both neatly detailed and sensibly balanced. Even new, these models don't break the bank. As I hope to show in other future posts it's straight forward to re-work even the rolling stock, and the idea, of using a similar palette to weather your models and complete scenic work really helps tie the layout scene together into a coherent whole. I continue to revel in this N scale adventure, until next time, more soon...

Comments