Commission: 74xx Pannier in OO…

This is not the first time a 74xx has graced the pages of the blog, they're one of my favourite models to work on and not to mention the quality of the Bachmann product that runs sublimely out of the box...

Despite not being a latest release it still holds it's own, in particular the handrails are superbly fine for a RTR model. The conversion from Bachmann 64xx to 74xx involves removing the auto gear and cabling from the footplate and buffer beams, removing one of the pair of battery boxes under the cab, cutting off the chamfer on front and back of the cab and squaring off the corner on the bunker where it meets the cab. On some examples you must also cut out the front tank support and use one of my 3D printed replacements where they weren't plated over. I also replace the tank side short handrail, as this is the wrong style for a 74xx (the Bachmann 64xx has knobs, all photos I've seen of the 74xx use a plain bar, like on the 16xx by Rapido), and add the footplate handrail. Number plates are from Custom Nameplate Studio at Light Railway Stores.


The paintwork is then touched up with Humbrol satin red 174 and satin black 85. Weathering starts with my usual 98/33 wash over the footplate, chassis, cab roof and tank tops, varied as I go. Once dry, I mask the cab windows and use the airbrush with a 133/245/27004 mix is sprayed to soften the edges of this along the edge of the tank, and build up some depth to the finish on the tank top and rear bunker. Finally a dry brushing of gunmetal 53 picks out the edges.


A real coal load finished things off and a crew from Modelu are painted and installed in the cab. I also decided to use a toothpick to add some scuffing along the tank tops from shoes and footwear, and some Humbrol 'clear' to add a little water around the fillers and along the seams.


I think the result breathes character and life, and keeps just enough lustre from the factory finish to not feel 'dead'. Weathering is an art form, one practiced by method and studying the prototype. Artistic though to be able to take a broad brush and create a model that feels right and alive.


I've taken a few other photos on Pont-y-dulais, which I'll share later this week, but for now, this one is a wrap. If you'd like to take a look at previous 74xx use the labels on this blog, or you can see the finished results here on 7406 and here on 7442. My customer is modelling the Fairford branch and so I look forward to seeing the 74xx in action on a layout in due course.


If you have a particular prototype you'd like me to recreate do get in touch for personal proposal. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments