Friday Update: Sixteen Nine Twenty-two…

I write this from the usual spot on the sofa, dog tucked up next to me as the mornings have got a lot cooler of late, autumn is in the air and the kids have brought home a fresh virus to put me under the weather...


Small progress on a few projects but seriously held up on others by delays in the post. One good thing has meant I could focus on the Impetus Manning Wardle kit which is now painted and ready for a very light weathering.This is a very lovely model, even with it's towering spark arrestor, it has real character and I particularly love the thin and dainty frames. I'm pondering whether to use a protective lacquer spray or not as part of the finishing, at present the gentle contrast in sheen from the matt footplate to the satin handrails and paintwork is really pleasing. Anyhow, hopefully she'll cross the line next week.


The 'narrow gauge' (theoretically 3'6", but of course actually 4'1.5" on 16.5mm track) Ruston is coming along. I designed and had printed some small buffer blocks because on the new chassis the NEM pocket was a little low, these accept the tail of a NEM Kadee. Buffer mounting holes are plated, and I found some 3D printed lifting / jacking points for each corner - along with a horn from the bits box. Eagle eyed readers may also spot the dual skin roof, a tell-tale that this export is for warmer climes. Primer next!


In the same order but somewhat larger, these sintered nylon parts (above and below) are for a large scale model of a 'Cli-shay' (a Shay's vertical cylinder, mounted inboard with a Climax style drive to the inner axle of each truck and side rods to drive the front axle). 


To no real scale, but inspired by a homebuilt prototype I've gone deliberately caricatured and chunky - time will tell if this pays off, I think it will but I am nervous until I get all the bodywork together. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has second thoughts as they work through more artistic projects like this (in the same vein as both Petunia and Paddington's diesel). The parts all push fit into the balsa wood framing with balsa uprights, the size of these side pockets in particular is for strength as much as visual impact. Once the framework is all painted dark brown their mass will be less obvious and it's the details that should pop! I've ordered some plain balsa to make planks for the deck, and the sides, I'm keen for this to be a strong model, but I don't want it to be top heavy, hence the slightly left field choice of material!


As I sit here feeling somewhat sorry for myself today, here is a short video I enjoyed watching last night, a time machine to the days before mobile phones and worse still, Sprinters! Imagine the sheer pleasure of a first class compartment at the rear of the train to Skye in 1972, hauled by Inverness based 24s and 26s... pure nostalgia of the BR Blue kind, and all the better for it in my humble opinion!


Wishing you a relaxing weekend, I hope you've enjoyed todays rambling update - remember, the blog is updated every morning so there is always something new to read either from my sketchbook, workbench or layouts. I'm very keenly aware that I'm lucky to have such a loyal and engaged readership here - I very much appreciate every one of you stepping by - My promise is I will continue to keep this ad and restriction free, and ask in return could you please share with your modelling friends and consider the odd 'donation'. In the meantime, have a relaxing weekend, enjoy some trains (in a book, on TV, in real life or on your model railway) and until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Sorry to hear you have the “Back to school” virus. Hope it clears up quickly and does not spoil your weekend.
    In spite of the virus your projects are looking good. The Ruston is certainly looking like something that could have been sold for export. Although you say it is nominally 3-foot six, of course 4-feet was the gauge of the Tharsis Sulphur and Copper Co’s railway in southern Spain and they used big Ruston’s. Having said that the distance from 4-foot is roughly the same for Cape gauge (3foot six) and standard.
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Chris M and I have already written tomorrows blog so I can have a relaxing weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.