Sunday morning at Paxton Road…

Sunday mornings not always a lot happening down at the Paxton Road, any engineers workings are long gone from the yard and out on the line…


Sleeping in one of the sidings though you’ll often find a locomotive and my childhood mind doesn’t question why, just appreciative of this injection of interest, something to absorb, to pore over and imagine the sounds and smells when she is fired up, coming to life.

Paxton Road my N scale layout may only be small at 500mm long but it is for these sorts of memories that it exists at all. Yes, I’ve enjoyed and continue to enjoy the steps on the N scale journey, but emotionally the drive is recreating the BR period of my childhood either from first hand experiences or books taken from the library at the time. 

What is the personal emotional connection driving your own modelling? Perhaps childhood memories, or later even, and a desire to relive those exciting times? Perhaps though it is more rooted in the here and now and the hobby and model making is a mindful pursuit away from other demands and experience? Whatever it is, it is personal. If you’re comfortable to share this then I’d love to hear from you, perhaps talking will help another directly in indirectly? For now though I’m going back to my books on West Country BR in the 1970s and 80s and enjoying a quiet day. Until next time more soon…

Comments

  1. What is the personal emotional connection driving your own modelling?
    The model I'm eventually building is call.ed "Spitzenwald" in German, which translates as "Peak Forest", where I spent many a happy hour with my dad as a teen.
    It's also based on a model I made at the same time; I don't seem to have moved on very much, really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t do yourself a dis-service Andy, you’re modelling is wonderful and full of character. You might not have ‘moved on’ in some ways, but perhaps your modelling is a living connection to those memories. My own Dad and my memories of him are woven into the fabric of the hobby and through working and living with it I get to feel a connection I guess in otherwise would have lost when he passed nearly 12 years ago.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.