Ribbons through time…

Sometimes our Railway memories like the steel rails  they run upon thread their way through our lives like ribbons through time…


I visited the Welshpool and Llanfair gala yesterday, and seeing Joan sat in the bay at Welshpool took me back 30 odd years, visiting the railway with my childhood best friend (and still very much a good one) Tim. A definite case of rose tinted nostalgia as I handed my phone to Steve and asked him to grab my photo, but the feelings stood on the footplate took me back in a moment to childhood. I still feel that excitement and energy, that ‘all this is possible’ drive to create and build model railways for myself, with good friends and for others to share and enjoy my passion. That ribbon is a strong one and I know I share these rails with many others, thank you to all (and for those who said hello yesterday, it was lovely to meet you albeit briefly).

I’ll write a longer post in the week about the visit, it’s the kids first day back in school tomorrow and I need to focus on them today. Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. I think we must have been in Welshpool at about the same time; Joan was that colour throughout my time volunteering on the railway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it was a link up with the Staffordshire building society or some such - as I think it was only blue whilst a static exhibit, but I don’t really remember the details!

      Delete
  2. She was masquerading as Thomas the Tank Engine I believe, but I think you're right, the building society sponsored the repaint.
    I never saw her turn a wheel either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange you should say this. We had a visitor from the miniature railway world yesterday who we'd never met in the flesh before. As we talked, we realised how many people we knew in common and the impact they had had on us.

    When I lived in Birmingham as a child the W&LLR, along with Cadeby, was "our" line. The easiest one to get to when my parents only ever had Sunday afternoon off work. As we now contemplate the move to Shropshire, I'm looking forward to reconnecting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our hobby and common interest connects us, what fascinates me is our we each individually interpret this and use it to drive us forwards… but the conversation as always is part of the journey. Thanks James! If you move this way I’m sure our “ribbons” will cross in person as well…

      Delete
    2. Odder still, my next stop after here is always Phil's blog. And this morning he mentioned Rob Bennett, who is both one of my railway connections and also connects me with the photography world via common friends

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.