Commission: O&K bolsters in 7/8ths…

It seems some time since I build anything new in 7/8ths in terms of rolling stock for the tramway so it was lovely to be asked to replicate my own O&K bolsters for a customer...


These wagons are based upon the resin Modelearth kit that comes with Binnie wheels and white metal axle boxes that must be cleaned up, holes drilled through them and then bolted to the resin frame. The result can be a bit hit or miss if you're not quite careful but  I've learnt this the hard way in the past and so was quite precise - even then I struggled to get them free rolling but happy to say we got there in the end.


To the basic frame I have added acrylic parts that have been laser cut o my own design and altered up to produce both the angle frame inside the body, and the bolsters themselves. The design follows examples in the O&K catalog, but I suspect these small bolsters would have originally been specified only for horse haulage because of the lack of the end to end cross member. There is no reason these would not have been later used with locomotives - but could possibly have resulted in damage in use...


The models are finished in matt black that has been dry brushed with gun-metal with the wooden buffer pads touched in and washed black to leave shadow in the grain. The result is a real lift in the otherwise plain finish, and the brass chain has been blackened and looks the part, adding another element that lifts the visual appearance. Out on the tramway they remind me of why I love my own garden line, seeing the colours and textures of the man made elements blend so naturally with nature as weastherin gt takes over without my input. The way the rowlands mix / cement slurry rack base has aged and varies in tone with surface growth, the patina on the wooden fence posts, and the tarnished rusty but polished look to the rail surfaces. Wonderful stuff!

If you've got a particular prototype you'd like to recreate, or have seen a model of mine you'd like to copy then get in touch for a personal proposal. I work in all scales and gauges, and am happy to scratchbuild, assemble kits or modify existing models. In the meantime, use the labels at the bottom of the post to learn more about specific elements of this topic. More soon...

Comments