Cambrian magic...

Perhaps not quite magic, however with a 'day off' last week to myself I decided I'd drive over to Barmouth and then up the coast to Porthmadog to soak up some 'Cambrian' atmosphere for my latest project...


The trusty UP GTI was both a fun drive and warm safe haven from the terrible weather I encountered on parts of the journey, becoming very much a good friend this car.


Rather than an in depth write up of my journey, I've chosen a selection of photos which show some of the character I encountered. The changing weather, the stormy sea, the muted but beautiful light and colour  - all emotional energy and fuel for the project. I stopped at a few of the stations on route - alas seeing no train (a ride on the train is planned for the spring too...) but I did see some steam on the cob at Porthmadog at 'journey's end'. In terms of 'freight revival' possibility I fear this section of line has little hope - especially with Barmouth bridge. There is a siding at Barmouth with a kick back they use for loading and unloading rail equipment and then nothing until Porthmadog, where a siding extends beyond the loop and is used by Network Rail - at least it's within their compound. As I drive these roads frequently I often see milk tankers and logging trucks - surely our Welsh government could look at extending the remit of 'Transport for Wales' to include freight on our railways too? 








Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. If not magic, pretty close. I'm planning a similar recon trip soon on the Cumbrian Coast Railway. It's a good 5+ hours round trip from where I live without any stops, but I plan to jump on and off at certain points to take photos so it'll be a long day. But worth it, I think. As always, reading your blog has inspired me to get on with something. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you share your photos and the journey with us all…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.