Yellow Aster in primer...

Last year I shared the initial design work for another new kit I was developing inspired by Dan Quine's article in Narrow Gauge and Industrial magazine, based upon the cut down Porter used at the Yellow Aster mine...


These photos show the first parts being trial assembled - there are a few small tweaks to make to the etch artwork but I'm very very pleased with the promise of this diminutive locomotive. Remember, these photos are many many times larger than this model, and I've yet to smooth and fill the finish ahead of some austere black paintwork.


The raised lettering around the smokebox number has reproduced perfectly and looks great, this and the number are etched parts, as are the overlays on the cab with their crisp rivet detail. I've made a few compromises in window size to allow these to be more easily glazed without loosing the character of the prototype. I've also added a few bits of wire to represent the sanding pipework and the feeds coming from the top of the cylinder valve chests.


The cab does have a footwell, so if you can find a seated figure you can add a driver! The oil tank is fully represented too, along with a lovely etched filler cap - though you'll have to take my word for that! I've not added a printed part for the boiler back head as this would have been grossly out of scale, I think the fact the motor and wiring are visible in this location isn't ideal, but compare to the situation a few years ago where a cut down model like this wouldn't have been possible with the Minitrains motor in the cab.


The next step will be a coat of very dark grey (gloss black let down with some grey I think) before I add some numbers to the side of the cab and then seal with a dust of lacquer and some weathering to finish. Now, I could definitely entertain a small layout for this to run on, who wants to invite me to and exhibition to make it happen! As for the kit, well it should be available before Easter with a prevailing wind. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James. This is fantastic work. Really excited to see this model coming to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Dan, thank you for the rabbit hole!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.