Friday Update: Twenty One Twenty-three...

Brrrrrr. It's been a cold one with ice and snow here all week. Pretty yes, adventures too on the school run, but icy cold with the wind over the lying snow we've had mid-week onwards...


In the workshop it's been too cold during the day to get much done, so I've de-camped to the warmer kitchen table and the lounge to get some design work done on the laptop. The SAR Class 91 is coming together, I'm still waiting on the etched parts so in the meantime have drawn up the artwork for the transfers including the numbers and logos - these will be produced as waterslide decals and hopefully will really set off what is an impressive beast!


I've been enjoying new and old magazines this week - although if I'm honest, and I hope I'm not showing my age here 'things were better in the old days'. This issue of Rail was out when I was just 13, but it's content reminds me of my interest and energy for the 'current scene' back in those formative days. I've really enjoyed it and seeing Class 31/1s on the Cambrian is giving me ideas about a 1990s 'formation' for the as yet still on paper exhibition layout I'm planning in N... oh dear! Not more ideas...


This wooden craftsman kit is heading state side when it's finished, it's been good fun so far putting together the white metal and laser cut parts - although as the manufacturer has retired and there were some parts missing it has required real modelling to to fabricate some replacements. Hopefully these critical suspension components will hold up in service! To be finished in a pale yellow, progress has been swift as I've been waiting on a few other things which has meant for one a commission has my almost undivided attention. 


Not pictured this week is a lovely FourDees kit for Edward Thomas I'm finishing for a regular customer - this will receive full Talyllyn green with black edged red lining - and should look superb when finished. Currently it's had the first coat of green over a smoothed and primed print - all I've had to do is replace the cab side handrails, otherwise everything else looks great.

To fund the further expansion of my N gauge plans I've been selling a few items on eBay, sadly my rail bus has yet to receive much interest, if you're keen on adding it to your stable it's in 'new' condition having only been been run in and never used on a layout, the listing is here...


This weekend I am wondering about getting on with some more work on Beaverbrook. I've been operating the layout a little this week (see below) and it would be nice to rough in another structure in styrene before taking the groundwork any further. Letting my new GP7 roam over a few evenings switching cars on the layout reminds me of how much of a tonic this project has been - as well as being a nod to Lance Mindheim's recent blog post on layouts being finished. 


Whatever you manage, I hope the weather leaves you safe and well. At the very least a nice quiet sit down somewhere with a hot drink and a good book will satisfy me this weekend, I don't think I'll venture further than the level crossing in the village to see any other trains. Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Thank you for that post.

    Mindheim's article resonated with me as I spent most of last year dealing with the fallout of finishing a series of novels without considering what would happen next. I'm only now, some ten months on, finding I can pick up the pieces but even so regaining the writing habit is proving difficult.

    I wrote a post on the NGRM forum inspired by Mindheim's article https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/forums/topic/30669-the-hidden-perils-of-finishing-a-layout/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll post this here and there, thanks Colin for the words and glad you found a spark in Mindheim’s writing. He’s a gifted modeller and artist.

      As an artist I have found this with my own work and these days ensure, almost by habit, to have a multitude of projects and pieces at different stages all of the time. It is rare these days that I find myself completely stalled in my creative pursuit, alas to followers or friends it may mean their common interest is shelved or ‘fonished’ but I have begun anew on something else quite happily enjoying the process, the challenge, the research and the craft.

      Good luck with the writing.

      PS, I am of EuroNG, 6point5 and Planet Industrials fame, and have done a few kits for Narrow Planet too, but I am only involved in LRS as much as good friend (and business partner in Pi) to Steve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.