Friday Update: Thirteen One Twenty-two…

It's been a funny week with a massive variety in work from finishing off layout design commissions and prepping etch artwork on the computer to wiring a LocoRemote inside a 16mm/ft diesel. We've had crisp blue skies and lovely winter sun light but more often grey overcast dark and wet with high winds last night to top things all off...


As well as work, I've been beginning to think more seriously about presentation of my various layouts at the Festival of British Railway Modelling in February. I picked up a second laptop transformer to power the lights on both cameo layouts that will be there, and I think presenting the N on top of the OO works, but on the 'table' top they're too low. Even here on some plastic storage containers I'd argue they're a little low for presentation really. I'm waiting to hear the physical size of the table tops next, to think about how this will balance with the table top layouts Mollington Road and Canal Street Wharf. I don't think I'll be taking the 009 Creech Barn as it won't be finished in time, but hopefully there will be enough for people to look at and talk with me about during the weekend. It will be great to meet a few of you there I'm sure, it's the first time I've 'exhibited' since Covid, and the first outing for 3 of the 4 layouts.


The behemoth SAR Class 91 continues, and you'd be hard pushed to detect it's meagre Bowaters underpinnings as I've extensively re-worked and detailed the basic body shell, even adding a cab interior. This week has been about making it go, and so I've wired up the supplied LocoRemote Mega2 with lights. This 'wifi' controller is not quite as tactile as a speed controller in your hand but was refreshingly easy to setup and get working. The LEDs are 2.5mm warm white and look good, illuminating strongly in the daylight and I think will be great once the model is painted. However, I'm still waiting on the custom etched details before I can move on to colourisation, hopefully in a few weeks, so for now this one is parked, literally and figuratively on the windowsill.



The final job this week has been repainting a Bachmann 20T van in a lighter grey, and weathering it along with it's box fresh brown companion. These models capture all of the character of the prototype in my humble opinion, the clear plastic used for the 'end' inserts has a lovely flush glazed effect and the moulded detail responds well to washes. Next will be detail micro painting, then dry brushing and to be finished with airbrushed dirt in the next day or so, a nice quick project. If you have some items you'd like to be brought to life do get in touch using the contact form for a no-obligation fixed price proposal.

This weekend I'm planning taking things slowly as it's been busy for the whole family back to school. Modelling wise I plan on building the signal for my Cambrian plank along with looking at options to 'weather' the track a little on the same. I'm also keen to try my hand at a small farm house I'd like to include on the larger Cambrian layout, so I may start cutting material for that, and I'm sure a walk or two will include seeing some railways, although I believe it's turning cold here (and I'm sure where you are too). Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Firstly, I want to say that top image really shows how effective the lighting arrangements are for your layouts. As for the old thorny issue of layout heights. A regular table top is 30" (762mm) off the ground. Far too low unless you're a young child. I then stand my layouts on a pair of the plastic "milk crate" totes. They're about 11" (280mm) tall. That brings the layout up to 41" (1040mm) That seems to keep most viewers happy. Personally, I much prefer to view layouts higher than that about 50" (1275mm). It's also very convenient to carry stock, controllers and everything else you need to exhibit in the totes. Empty them out and then use them as the display stand. I want to say I once read somewhere that Iain Rice mounted one of his layouts on milk crates on a table top. It it was good enough for him, then it's good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - I will see what is available here - that's a good idea. My overall concern is table stability, I need more details from the exhibition about that before I decide on the best display option - ideally double the height shown in the photo would work for me, so deeper 'carry boxes' would certainly be one way forward.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.