Pont-y-dulais 1956...

One from the archives this morning, on a bright but cold winters day, January 12th 1956 'Francis', the Kerr, Stuart 'Victory' works hard taking a load through the yard at Pont-y-dulais...


Catching steam at the crossing in those days wasn't difficult. 2-3 loaded trains made their way down to the British Rail exchange sidings every day - and the yard at Pont-y-dulais is where the weigh bridge was, so shunting turns often blocked it frequently. Francis wasn't to last much longer, being withdrawn for repairs in 1959, it's sister in black survived a few years longer - the last location this small class operated in the UK. 

Of course, Pont-y-dulais is my OO gauge cameo layout, just 1000mm long. Come and see me, and the layout in person at the Festival of Railway Modelling at Doncaster in February on the 11th and 12th. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hopefully see you in Doncaster (I think it's 11/12 Feb though) - after reading about Pont-y-dulais and enjoying the photos, it will be good to see the layout in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, corrected the post. It will be good to see you again.

      Delete
  2. I know its a bit more "industrial" than your layout but there is a photo in the recent "Industrial Railway Loco Sheds" part 4 from the IRS of a Victory outside the shed a Aberaman colliery in Glamorgan in 1962.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen that I don’t think Alan. I must track down a copy.

      Delete
  3. Hi James

    The book is listed as a new item on the Industrial Railway Society e-shop under IRS Publications

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.