Bae Ceredigion: Bridge (N part 37)...

The 'signature' of this years 'Christmas' project is the bridge inspired by the prototype at Ynyslas but so similar to many others along the Cambrian Coast line...


In a previous post I shared the construction of the model and more recently the water the bridge crosses on the cameo layout. Painting was always going to be a difficult yet exciting experiment, my plan was to airbrush the main colours (black 33 and brown 98) and then lighten this with dry brushing. 


The result on such a small model has been surprisingly effective. The bridge structure was dry brushed in Humbrol 72, the bottoms near the water in 30, the slate walls in 64. I touched in the handrails and strapping in a mix of 33 and 100, a rusty brown. 


This bridge has been a revelation to  me - proving that yes, I can produce models I'm proud of that feel 'scale' in this small size. It is the painting that has been the biggest surprise this time, starting dark and working lighter is not something I've tried in such a manner before, I wonder what you think, has it been a success? Until next time, more soon... 



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I think this was a very successful project ... and I am sure anyone would have a very hard time guessing this was achieved in N-scale ... nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob, it’s been fun and I’m now well on with bedding it in to the diorama. I’ll share more soon.

      Delete
  2. That does look very realistic! I do like the effect of the light on dark. Having taken up military modelling some years ago I now have a greater appreciation for the art of weathering and giving items patena. I am no expert in fact not even any good at it but it is an area most railway modellers could benefit from looking at to pick up some possible techniques. Generally military modellers work from dark through to light.
    I am interested to see what you come up with next James. An n gauge version of Renfrew in the same footprint as 00 would be an interesting build......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woody, very kind. We’re all learning…
      I wonder if Renfrew in N wouldn’t work. I think cameos needs a ratio between width and viewing window height. If you use the OO footprint you’d drop the height down for N, and then have a very long scene?

      My Cambrian longer term plan is for something longer and thinner as an exhibitable layout, we shall see how it pans out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.