Almost a Yellow Aster...

As the NG&IRM dropped on the door mat this month (including both my James Hilton CMR ad on the inside front cover (!) and Planet Industrials on the rear) I was very very taken with the cut down Porter on the cover...

Yellow Aster number 2, Rand Desert museum, photo Deric English collection (http://randdesertmuseum.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2-Locomotive-at-Yellow-Aster-Mine-Deric-English-Collection.jpg)

The prototype was from the Yellow Aster mine, and Dan Quine's article is superb - further information online if you dig about, such as this from the Rand Desert Museum. Last year I worked on a small Porter that I made available on my Shapeways store, I wondered if it could form a basis for something 'inspired' rather than particularly slavishly to scale...


This is the result - a modified print with a new cab, extra details (including the cylinder valve chests, brakes and sand boxes) and this time some neat etched overlays - including a ring for the smokebox door with the distinctive 'Porter' script on... 


Even in the cab you'll find some etched detail for the fuel tank top and filler. The buffer beams have slots for Greenwich, or 3D printed 'buffing blocks' as an alternative. This thing has ended up 'tiny' though, really tiny - space for a seated driver in the cab, but that's about it, compared to the original model you can see how diminutive it will be - and with a rake of Minitrains skips or tubs its going to look superb!


I can't wait to progress to test prints and etches - the brake parts I've designed will also work on the Huwood Hudswell that is 90% ready for production - and I've another two 'British' kits on the virtual drawing board that will work on the chassis. Exciting times ahead for those of you who enjoy a kit or two, until next time though, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments