Friday Update: Eighteen Eleven Twenty-two…

A very busy mixed week of scales and commissions, yet strangely not a great deal to show for it in today’s update. Grab a drink and take 5 to see what’s been happening here in North Wales…


One of the most requested versions of Victory customisation has been the ‘modification’ carried out on the Lambton Hetton and Joicey example. This prototype underwent several modifications to cab and bunker through its life, and no drawings exist of the roof modification. I’ve based the artwork above on photographs and what is technically feasible whilst preserving as many elements of the existing injection moulded cab and bunker as possible. A prototype has been ordered for evaluation - if all goes to plan I will look to source a production batch, and plan to offer it with and without complete decal sets.


To undertake the design work a Victory has been sacrificed… not entirely, this model will be converted into a look a like of some North British tanks that worked at Rio Tinto in Spain. This has required some extra sandboxes and a completely new cab design, which have also been ordered for evaluation. Longer term my plan is also to include this in the ‘range’ of kits as it gives the modeller something different.


Victory customisation has continued, and there are a few left to do but everything is now waiting on etched plates. Above, you can see me playing about with positions of numbers and logos on a BR liveried example (should be on the blog as a finished model soon). Whilst the top image perhaps is more ‘Southern region’ befitting of the former East Kent machine, I fiend the lower has the feel of the old North London tanks that worked on the Cromford wharf, perhaps Victory could stand in on a Cromford and High Peak layout quite comfortably?


In the workshop the Cli-shay is awaiting etched plates and some 3D printed details so work has started on the last big commission of 2022, I don’t think I’ve space to start any more large scale models until these pair are out the door. This is a SAR Class 91 2ft gauge diesel from South Africa. Based upon the Bowaters kit my commission will include a myriad of new and refined detail to really up the realism on this brute! It’s going to be fun working though the options as work progresses - the basic assembly is nearly there, so now it’s a case of working out what needs replacing and what is missing. One thing is certain, it’s massive!


Finally, in home news this week ballasting has been in hand in the middle of Beaverbrook and has progressed across the two turnouts, leaving around 1.5-2m of plain un ballasted track left to complete. The transformation in appearance is amazing, it will be a lovely milestone to have all the ballasting done before the end of the year. Beaverbrook continues to satisfy my need for a more mindful project, being available to operate when the mood takes whilst providing different levels of finish in different parts of the layout to hold my modelling interest. It feels like the perfect sized project for me at this moment in life, all 8ft of it!


Let’s wrap things up there for this week and I leave you with a photo of the old reliable SW1 of the Ballard and Wantage having dropped a car off at the Co-op feed mill it prepares to meander back home towards the junction in Ballard. I hope you have a good weekend, and get some modelling or railway time scheduled in - for me the last free one before Warley, so I’ll be making the most of it. That said, Steve and I are very excited about the stand and seeing you all in a weeks time. Until then though, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I haven't even had a chance to unbox mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's accruing value as a future collectable then ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.