Friday Update: Eleven Eleven Twenty-two…

After a week or two off from Victory, it is inevitable the bench is covered with them again. Despite the prevelance of the chunky 0-6-0T there are also other things to discuss, grab a coffee and read on...


A number of customers got in touch before Victory arrived for different levels of customisation than offered directly through Planet Industrials. It has been good fun opening the now familiar wasp striped boxes and taking each model a step beyond the basic weathering. Above we have several works in progress (you saw the completed BR black one yesterday), including another black (to be heavily weathered industrial) and a pair of lined examples which my customer wanted a more detailed weathering job. These saw the usual wash followed by airbrush dirt - but then this was gently removed with a wide flat brush leaving streaking on the bonnet before being blended softly with more airbrush. The results look superb, once the plates arrive for this pair I can't wait to share them - the green one in particular really pops with this effect!


The Cli-shay steps closer towards completion as well - transformed with the addition of a roof and the spark arrestor. This large model is nearly finished, waiting on etched plates as well as me to figure out how to model the large water tank that needs to go on the 'open' platform. I just can't find a tube, bottle or tin quite the right diameter to fit! I'll keep looking, and hopefully I can get this to my customer in time for Christmas!


Amongst other work I've been messing about with the Percy chassis again. The production Huwood Hudswell are on order, so thoughts have turned to other prototypes. One of Narrow Planet's best sellers was always the Bagnall 0-4-0st. To that end I have re-worked the body to sit on the chassis. This test print proves the concept, and I have modified the print design to include more positive fitting floor in the cab, and the smokebox support has been extended to fill the bap in front of the chassis block, and faux boiler sides pulled back to the flywheel. The idea is the supplied sandboxes (new) will glue to the small projections on the chassis and hide the lack of boiler covering the flywheel, which should work nicely. I have one more mod to make, to re-instate some sort of 'firebox' over the circuit board ahead of the cab front sheet, and then I'll order some production models. The best thing is she uses the same etch, so it's a quick release, and it will be nice to make this stalwart available again.


In parallel, Yellow Aster, shared last week is moving forwards. The etch design is now with etching and the prototype print arrived at the same time as the Bagnall. This is a perfect fit, and looks superb! Look how diminutive this model looks next to what is quite a small Minitrains Porter, it's so short! Yes a 1:76 scale man will fit in the cab and lend a feeling of authenticity as required. I'm so excited, I can't wait for the etch to arrive, this is one of my favourite kits I'd designed for a year or so, and has even led to me day dreaming of a gold mining 009 layout - that has been on and off the cards for more years than I care to remember! The original layout was sold off pre-lockdown, but a shelf size 'exhibitable' scheme might suit a Christmas project?


I've written about this elsewhere (RMweb and on my Instagram) - the top photo has hung on my wall throughout the Victory project, acting as inspiration and encouragement for the good and and hard times we've encounted. Now, I have the bottom locomotive sat on my layout as inspiration. This has been one hell of a journey but I'm glad we did it. I have learnt a lot about myself, and the industry in this short space of time, and that will help set goals for what Steve and I do next, and what I do next - what will 2023 bring?


I'll sign off with two magazines - a short piece (and cover) in Garden Rail this month (thanks Phil) on the tramway, always lovely to be able to help out someone when requested, the photos and my short captions work really nicely in the magazine and balance the lead article's Playmobil leaning nicely. Alongside sits Hornby magazine, the first of the mainstream news stand magazines with a Planet Industrials 'Victory' review (spoiler - they like it) as well as a parallel 'my book' review too! As you read this Railway Modeller is freely available (we're in that). BRM and Model Rail will follow, so choose your regular and see what they've made of our first foray into ready to run, something to unwind with a coffee (perhaps even a mince pie (?!)) this weekend? I'm hoping to take a step back from thinking about work and commissions this weekend - but we'll see, it's so much of my life that it's not always easy to switch off. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments