Commission: Blodwell bridge in 1:76…

It is not as often as I’d like that I’m asked to take on structure modelling commissions. This impression I’d Blodwell bridge on the Tanat Valley has been a delight to create… 


The prototype crosses the track bed on an angle and has been well documented in photographs and drawings over the years so construction was not difficult. Joining and marching stone work along then oblique corners was probably the most challenging part and on the whole it works well. Built as a ‘layout’ structure it includes under deck detail and fine touches like the custom designed and etched bridge builder plate, but short cuts like Wills stone sheets. The result will look great alongside the customers growing fleet of rolling stock which he is amassing for the big project one day, a recreation of part of the valley.


Weathered slightly to tone things down and better match the colour of materials in the area, you’ll notice I have left the road way in raw styrene, this will facilitate bedding in to the layout, as will the full depth abutments each side.


The works plate is totally legible although my poor photo would suggest otherwise! It’s been good fun putting this together, if there is a signature structure in your layout please do consider commissioning me to recreate this for you, it would be a pleasure. If you search for structure building on the blog you will see many items I’ve scratch-built for my own projects to get a feel for the standard of modelling and artistry you can expect. There is a contact form here on the website, or you can find me on Facebook or the forums. In the meantime, more soon…

Comments

  1. Cetainly better than my effort a few years ago https://apavalley.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-wet-august-bank-holiday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James, although I notice some similar building materials. Yours has all the character of the prototype, and is recognisably ‘Tanat Valley’ I’d say, the track looks suitably overgrown too!

      Delete
    2. Early days of static grass, I strimmed it back, literally with an electric razor!
      For some reason the bridge now feels a little cliched, I hope because the line is attracting more attention that could lead to more effort on the preservation front

      Delete
    3. Interesting thought, I suppose I don’t see enough of the wider modelling press regularly to know if it’s been done to death. Hopefully my take is a decent caricature, my customer is happy anyway.

      The grass actually looks pretty effective. These days we’re lucky that shorter fibres are both more readily available and work much better too as they’re often a touch finer.

      Delete
    4. Not so much done to death, as done so well, I don't want to be compared! https://luggvalleyrailway.wordpress.com/

      Delete
    5. Geoff has done a great job, indeed.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work - would be good to see a reference pic or two of the prototype that you worked from to recreate this. I'm also not well-enough plugged-in to the modelling press to have seen this done by anyone else, nor am I familiar with the prototype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The station was Blodwell junction, but in later years it wasn’t a junction at all, as was often the case. http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/blodwell_junction/index.shtml

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.