Ffestiniog Autumn Steam…

On occasion I am lucky enough to be able to take time out and enjoy life at a slower pace, to appreciate the beauty and wonder of nature and to let my mind calm and quiet…


A wonderful autumnal morning trip on the Ffestiniog Railway with my son last week certainly was just what the doctor ordered after such a busy week with Victory dispatch! The open coach he selected was  more than bearable with warm sunshine despite the wind and the intimate experience with nature all the more accessible without windows.


The quality of light in autumn is magical. This is probably my favourite time of year, crisp mornings and low sun lending a wonderful light and shade not experienced in the warmer months, combined with the changing of leaves from lush green to burning orange it's a feast for the eyes (and lens).


We stopped at Tan-y-bwlch for an hour but after queuing for a coffee we heard the unmistakable rumble of an approaching diesel, and Harlech Castle came into to the station with an eclectic permanent way train...


...presenting the oppoertunity for some 'studies' on camera for future projects.


I was particularly taken with this set up - what appear to be two demountable containers (note the fork lift sockets underneath) mounted on 3 skip frames with a central platform - this strikes me as a possible kit to use a set of Peco V-tippers as the basis? Would there be interest in such a peculiar vehicle to warrant my design time?


Looking out the window at Minffordd I was also taken with the track work, and took this 'reference' photo for when I next try and model a location where locomotives frequently stand. My methods in this manner are definitely improving, so it will be interesting to see how it works out!



Back to Porthmadog without and of the threatened rain - and greeted by Hugh Napier and a rake of skips. A lovely journey, fuel for the soul, as I'm sure I've said before. If you'd like the more immersive experience, I did shoot a little video from the window of the train...


If you cluck on the 'YouTube' logo it will take you to YouTube to watch at full resolution and full screen, if you enjoy please do consider subscribing to my channel. In the meantime, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments