This is N…

When I began the most recent chapter of my N scale adventure, creating this small cameo layout Paxton Road, one of my strongest intentions was to create scenes that felt ‘real’…


What I hadn’t quite bargained for was the ability for modern British N to transcend scale.

Yes this is N.

The Graham Farish a class 31 and Polybulk are unmodified apart from the fitting of DG couplings and weathering. The track is wonderful British Finescale Code 40 bullhead. The scene has been designed to be a balance of texture, colour and density. Modelu figures lend a sense of the familiar, yet this is half the size we’re all used to,., this is tiny. This is amazing, this has SO MUCH potential, why do we need TT when N can be so good?

So yes, this is N, welcome to the possibilities. 
Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. N has loads of posibilities, but they aren't being realised yet, or at least not as often as the high-quality RTR deserves. I've shot a small number of N gauge layouts for BRM that are brilliant, and look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope through my series of honest and frank ‘N scale’ posts on the blog I’ve helped explode a few myths, but you’re right. I hope we see more layouts in future, but the ‘TT is easier as it’s less fiddly’ I’m not sure holds… Perhaps 3mm,
      But the new TT, it’s only a smidge bigger really.

      Delete
  2. Hello James, You would be hard pressed not to think that photo is a 12inch to the foot scene let alone n gauge. Even if you recognised it as a model you would think 00. As you say the possibilities are there for n but it takes skill and talent like yours to bring them about. Woody.PS I am enjoying your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Woody, glad you’re enjoying the book and thank you for the kind words about the quality of the modelling. I think the same can be said for any ready to run models, it takes skill and talent - which can be learnt through careful observation of prototype and relentless practice… blended with the hand of ‘the artist’ as I believe our work is always identifiable by others by a consistent approach to the craft.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.