A station is born…

I was talking with Will Lloyd (Rye Sands) recently, and we both reflected how building a structure is a sort of promise or commitment to a project. Will reflected that perhaps it’s easier to let stock come and go, but a structure is personal…


I think he is right - and not just because it is made by us, but because it captures something of our passion and intent for a particular prototype or layout idea. In recent weeks I have been sharing ideas and my adventures wrestling a feeling, inspiration and memories combined, into some sort of workable layout concept that not only excites me but fits the space I have in my life at the moment. Another N scale project, yet one that’s North American again (!) despite previous failed attempts in this combination. 

Physical space constraints combine with reflections on prototype and train lengths - and a blurring of inspiration. Rather than let is fester I committed myself to create a structure, one that would be useful for anything - generic enough to be recognisable yet non specific. A station…


The advantage (and disadvantage) of modelling a prototpe you’re less familiar with is not knowing what you don’t know. Canadian stations seem, like their British counterparts, to share similar features. I found a document discussing the development of these structures on a museum website and took to modifying this further - removing the second floor loving accommodation - as not all facilities had this (and I can always build another in future). The single storey structure is more flexible in terms of cameo layout design!


A 20 thou styrene core was created in short order. I couldn’t find a suitable plastic texture to use for the planked wood sides so a ‘quick’ project became a labour of love. Layering strips with just 1mm visible each time took over a week or short bursts of effort - and all without much idea if the finished result. My hope was the subtle overlapping sheets would give a lovely shadow…


Finishing touches weee some paper window frames and folded paper corners - and then a coat of primer, a chance to see what I’d achieved - as until the paper is painted it’s difficult to see the effect. The paint seals the finish, hides the glue and pencil marks and revealed a lovely slightly rough edged plank look and beautiful subtle plank shadows. 


It’s a little rough in places, but it’s mine. I’ll add a roof and the architectural details next before painting. Windows and doors will be last… but what shall I call it?

Canadian towns often took names of people or places important to the settlers. I wonder then, if I can call it Lochdubh? Somewhere not even on the map in the UK, and certainly not in Saskatchewan or Alberta! Stepping back and looking at what I’ve created, and posing it with that lovely Budd Railcar I’m pleased I’m on this journey once more. I think, given the space, a Canadian N scale project makes quite a lot of sense - mind, so do all those British ideas… 

As always, it’s the journey not the destination(s). Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.


Comments

  1. It’s a lovely little thing James, you are right about the slightly rough edges giving it texture. I wonder if your addiction to Shunter is also to do with them generally belonging to a location? Just a thought.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Perhaps… the 08 fascination I expect it also due to the prototype and the wonder of the tiny model…. As you say though, each becomes personal, not just a rail blue example.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.