It has been a week away from the bench, as you might have gathered from various references in posts this week…
I have been down visiting my Mum in Penarth with my son. We usually travel by train but for a few reasons we drove this time - and that isn’t something I’d be repeating in a hurry!
A few different days out and some trains old and new. Rather than write up the week in long form I’ll share some captioned photographs…
 |
| My first opportunity to ride a 398 from Bay to Queen Street in Cardiff. Still smelt new, very clean and well made, quick acceleration. Not quite as comfortable as a Flirt, seats seem to be packed in closely together. |
 |
| A trip to Chepstow gave the opportunity to ride a 150/2 on our outward journey. Wonderful experience, taking the South Wales Main Line - rattling along at top speed this venerable unit was working hard, a smooth ride, comfortable seats and no louder than the air conditioning on the 197 on the way home! |
 |
| Chepstow Castle! Rather magical setting and a lovely view of the Wye. |
 |
| 197/1 didn’t warrant a photo on the way home but a pause on the bridge at Penarth once home to soak up the atmosphere and 756 flirt. I still feel this would make a good basis for a Mosslanda. |
 |
| Thursday and I was in Maine… |
 |
| …with the ‘Cupola’ experience on the Brecon Mountain Railway. |
 |
| What a wonderful experience. The caboose rode smoothly and offered wonderful along the roof views of the train and beautifully framed vignettes of a cloudy and misty valley. |
 |
| The locomotive is American built but worked in South Africa, iirc, before retirement here in South Wales. It worked hard on the climb from up to Torpantau. |
 |
| I’d always avoided this railway as ‘insincere’ but it was a wonderful trip. Perhaps my recent day dreaming of Canadian branch lines put me in a favourable mind. It was a magical day out, and I enjoyed getting lost in the experience. |
 |
| Our journey back to North Wales was picturesque but long, twisty wet roads and slow traffic. A pause at Llandrindod Wells to show my son the station a we arrived about half two, we’d have had a 3 hour wait to see a train! |
A busy week, no modelling progress but now we’re back home I’ve a few projects I can push along in quiet moments and my son has asked to help with a few others… this visit runs through in to next week but normal service will resume soon enough. I hope you have all had a good week, and that the bank holiday weekend offers a moment or two to enjoy your hobby. I’m riding the Ffestiniog on Saturday and will be out watching the Llangollen on Sunday, I’ve a new book here to enjoy and some trains will, I’m sure run on several of my layouts. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.
Hi James
ReplyDeleteLooks as if you had a great week off, and thanks for keeping the blogs going. They are always one of my first "go-to's" in the morning
You were correct the BMR Baldwin came from South Africa. It was owned by Eastern Province Cement Company and worked their 12-mile "siding" from Chelsea Junction to New Brighton near Port Elisabeth. Its replacement was two Funkey locos which later went to the FR. The NGRS did a special Narrow Gauge News "Narrow Gauge Super Power" in 2005 which included information on the EPCC and its locos
Hope you have a great weekend
Best regards
Alan
Thank you Alan.
DeleteGlad you've had a good week.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to experiencing a 398, there are a few South Walian exhibitions coming up, so I might combine a little gricing with one of them. Still managing a few rides in 150s. I don't mind the 197s, though they're perhaps a bit clinical. The FLIRTS seem more modern and impressive, though.
I know what you mean about the Brecon Mountain Railway; it feels very much like a lot of alien stuff transplanted into a familiar environment, but once I got used to it and accepted it for what it is, I've had some really enjoyable visits, especially when the giant Soviet diesel is running!
All the best,
Simon.
I did think we might have the Soviet diesel with the dry weather but pleasantly surprised to smell steam when we arrived!
DeleteIt's good to see the 398's out and about (after the issue with the windscreen falling out when they brake)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos James.
Roger.
A problem I hadn’t heard about, I’m not sure I’ll ever have warm feelings about these, but it is at least, investment.
Delete