Having fun making decisions…
There is a childlike innocence in modelling prototypes we are less familiar with - and despite my best endeavours I’m still wonderfully uninformed about so much about Canadian railways in the prairies during the late 70s and 80s…
So decision made, the older style it is - and for good measure a set of renumbering and HMLX markings for the GP20… for whilst this whole Canadian N scale adventure is following some sort of familiar path, it is also about having fun, and about what feels right.
I read books and look on the internet. I absorb as much as I can but there are so many gaps…
I want to give my ridiculously caricatured Walthers grain elevator some presence, a sense of place. A mixture of memory and cliche, Lochdubh for the same reason… Saskatchewan for another…
Elevators were painted and repainted over their existence. Some lasted in old paint longer than you might expect. I remember and have photos of the later (right) style of Pool logo, but somehow, it doesn’t sit right…
Photos of Carlton and elsewhere in the pages of Greg McDonnell’s seminal ‘Signatures of Steel’ show a simpler, plainer style - which looks familiar yet isn’t. It fits, it feels better on the reduced mass of the smaller elevator (above) where the logo only seems to accentuate the compromise.
Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.



The logo version, as shown in the photo behind the model, looks more eye-catching without being overpowering. This is interesting to watch. Good luck with the layout, James.
ReplyDeleteThe logo version just doesn’t work on this short Walthers model Dave. It is too dominant…
DeleteMaybe the one on the right would work if the logo was smaller, but I think the plain text version still wins.
DeleteThe logo is proportionally accurate, the Walthers elevator is just a bit short… I originally wanted to use it, a touch point to memory, but it’s ok. Visual balance is as important I think. I’m having fun, as I said, and that’s the main thing.
DeleteWhen I think of wood Canadian elevators the diamond POOL logo is what comes to mind, but I agree it doesn't proportion right on the Walthers model.
ReplyDeleteYes same Joe, but this works for me too…
DeleteHi James, either version works for me, I think it is more about the relationship between the location of the letters and the small window above them. The window is a bit of a coarse moulding and draws attention to the fact that the building is a little shorter than it ought to be. Either way I can't wait to see the finished result! I can imagine the weathered finish on a building that withstands the glaring summer sun and harsh winter blizzards. I love grain elevators and the Walthers kit is something I've always liked the look of.
ReplyDeleteTake care
I've just had a brief look online at Saskatchewan grain elevators James and noticed that many of them are numbered, this seems to be a key element in the signage and something I've not noticed before. It might be something to consider to balance the sign layout. The pool logo doesn't seem as common as I imagined it to be. It would be interesting to know where the numbers start and where elevator number one is?! Sadly I've got to go to work...
ReplyDeleteTake care.
The numbers are interesting. I notice them on the grey ones with a black panel, less so on the repaints. Certainly not on them all…
DeleteI’m thinking I’ll go for the red, and probably a little faded. The bigger the structure the lower the saturation needs to be I think… we’ll see!
This is a great observation on how we explore ideas and reason on what looks & feels 'right'.
DeleteA key item on Canadian wood crib elevators missing from the Walthers model is the slight flare near the bottom of each side, which was for ventilation of the cribs. Adding that could help to raise the height, although matching the molded board pattern would be a challenge.
Another path, which is where I'm heading with my own elevator model, is to use the Walthers kit for a secondary elevator alongside a better-proportioned resin kit. Milk River AB had an facility like that (plus a grain annex similar to the one in the Walthers kit, which is a plus, as well as patchwork steel bins that simply beg to be modelled)
Have you considered a smaller elevator for fertiliser, like the Cominco 'elephant' facilities that often shared a siding with grain elevators? Could be made from corrugated siding or by cutting down a Walthers 'valley growers' elevator.
Mindful that you're working with limited space and scope / purchase creep is ever a challenge :)
Thanks Stu, all food for thought. I had considered adding a second elevator to the ‘collection’, not sure at the moment if that is sensible.
Delete