Modified RTR - A Canadian GP38-2 in N (Part 1)…
This latest Canadian adventure was going well and nearly focused on just Canadian National - until the Budd RDC arrived in CP Rail…
That meant, in my simple mind, that whatever follows has to include both CN and CP trains. My lovely Intermountain F7s would need to be joined by something else, something action red…
It seems as if prototypical Canadian N, unless modeling the prototype in the last twenty years or so, is almost non-existent. Not helped of course by GMD practice, vertical corner step wells, markers and bells on cab number boards, nose mounted headlights - all tooling options not progressed by Atlas, Kato or Lifelike. Even Rapido have shied away from freight units - just their lovely (yet CN only) Dash 8 and GMD-1. Beyond the first generation GP7 and 9 the Canadians skipped the later EMDs 18/20s and 35s really and didn’t buy until the unveiling of 645 powered second generation units; CN had a batch of 40s and CP some 38s. It was the upgraded electronics of the 38-2 and 40-2 before larger batches of 4 axle road power began to be delivered on Canadian rails from GMD.
In N you have examples of most of these, but it is the ex-Proto/Lifelike tooling that has the finest handrails. That means a GP38-2 then - and as I said in the intro, it was a CP unit I need - which explains why I’m not building a model of 4732 (yet), instead turning attention to a locomotive my Dad saw in the late 1990s. Not 3092 though, as that has a later ‘blower’ duct on the secondmans side, rather the trailing unit, 3027…
The Walthers GP38-2 is basically the Lifelike model but DCC friendly (note, strangely now Atlas own the tooling, and have released another batch more recently). I picked one up in Conrail blue from Rails for a wallet friendly price and once I was happy it ran it was dismantled and the paint stripped in IPA, revealing some beautifully sharp and neat tooling. This is going to respond well to the detailing work and thinner paint I will apply. As you would expect it is whisper quiet and incredibly slow running.
![]() |
| A quintessential late model CP GP38-2, Sutherland Yard, Saskatoon, circa 98/99. Keith Hilton photo. |
![]() |
| CP 3027 from the first batch of CPs 38-2. Sutherland Yard, Saskatoon, circa 98/99. Keith Hilton photo. |
I have enjoyed surveying the shell and comparing with my photographs, physical 5x7”’prints. Making a list of work to undertake, tasks to make this a Canadian model. Whilst sadly a few tasks look too difficult (namely the truck side frames - Lifelike used a different moulding to Atlas and Kato so I’ve not found a Blomberg replacement) most should be feasible - and certainly the standout Canadian features. We’ll tackle them slowly on the blog over the next few months I’m sure…
Work this weekend started with the step wells in each corner. The GMD units have a distinctive vertical arrangement and at the bottom, a switchmans larger first step. Whilst this isn’t easily replicated without an etched or 3D printed replacement I thought I could probably suggest the shape by altering the original moulding and adding some styrene inserts, cut and shaped from various sections. The result is pleasing whilst not perfect, but in black and part of the overall transformation, I think will be satisfactory.
![]() |
| Athearn GP38-2 reworked by me over thirty years ago - back then I didn’t tackle the steps! |
This work, modifying a generic tooled body to be Canadian specific reminds me of my 1990s endeavours with generic Athearn blue box SD40-2 and GP38-2. A smattering of detail parts scavenged at North American themed shows and exhibitions allowed some semblance of Canadian features to be added. The results were ‘good enough’ at the time. In the many years since I’ve honed my skills yet that touch point, those memories feel warm, as if my mind and my hands are on familiar territory.
Revisiting old friends with new ideas.
Practically the next step is to remove details on the bodywork before preparing to add some… I’ll be adding seperate grab irons from BLMA and then more Canadian details - some scratch built others from the usual suspects, Detail Associated and Kaslo Shops. I’ll document the processes yet talk about the feelings. Hopefully this may give you some ideas on how to approach personalisation and modifying your own ready to run models in any scale, gauge or prototype. A modelling skill hard earned but deeply rewarding. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.





Promising start, James!
ReplyDeleteGive me a hoy if you encounter difficulties finding details, I might have something stashed away that could help...
Odd to think that, maybe ten or so years ago, folks like me were marvelling at the opportunity that Jeff Briggs, Eric Courtney and other cottage Canadian producers offered to make more representative Canadian models - provided we were willing to put in a little effort & were brave enough to mess with our RTR models.
Seems that's a tougher offering in the era of home 3D printing (and sadly, some of those pioneers are no longer with us while others are facing an uncertain future with a new wave of tariffs affecting their biggest market)
You might have crossed paths before now, but maybe take a look at Tim Horton's amazing work on the Railwire. He focuses on British Columbia Railway but his work on making N scale RTR models more representative is inspiring - much as your work on small layouts inspires me to look past the impracticality of attempting a basement empire in a two bedroom semi-detached :)
PS might be worth double checking the feasibility of swapping the LL-Wathers sideframes for Atlas, as I have a vague memory that one of the improvements doing the rounds a while back was to change out both the wheelsets and frames for Atlas equivalents?
DeleteThanks Stu - I 'think' I have everything. Details Associates Pyle headlights and Kaslo pilots take care of the look - I'll draw up and have etched the CP Class lights and probably my own decals as I find the white on the Microscope ones 'chips' off on the Multi-mark and stripes (maybe my sets are a little old). The bell on the Lifelike chassis will be useful for the cab number board. I've made a start today drilling holes for the grab irons!
DeleteYou mention the trucks - the Atlas ones don't fit, they're a different design. The Lifelike ones clip on the ends, rather than the base. I'm not sure, you might be able to replace the whole truck assembly, but that seems a little overkill. I've refreshed my memory of Tim's stuff - lovely isn't it. I hope I can do something to raise the profile of N scale Canadian modelling through demonstrating the art of the possible many many miles from the prototype!!
One of my favourite engines, in one of my favourite paint schemes James. I too had a lot of fun back in the day adding bells, ploughs, ditch lights and and extended cab roof to Athearn blue box locos. My CN flagship loco was an SD40-2. My GP38-2 was a Burlington Northern green one which I put a big plough on the front of! I mostly scratch built my details as I had no idea where to get hold of them, bits boxes at shows yielded a few bells and snowploughs. Great fun and something I've lost the confidence to do these days, I never really did the same thing with UK outline models. Athearn locos were so cheap and such good runners, an absolute godsend for a cash strapped teenager. I'm assuming the extension to the rear of the cab stopped snow from going somewhere vital? I never knew for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished CP Rail GP38-2. I did once try to bash two Athearn SW1500's into a GMD1, it wasn't pretty but it was the only way to have one back then. I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress on the Canadian project, inspirational as always.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
Thanks Tom - good memories, similar boat for much of my earlier Canadian exploits. It's funny how you've shied away from modifications in the years that have followed whereas I used that confidence to embrace my own British modelling too...
DeleteI would have loved to see that GMD1!
Looking good so far, I'm most impressed by your modified steps - your project has reminded me that I have an Atlas GP38AC waiting for me to make a start.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nick. I used the Kaslo GP38-AC HO scale kit on an Kato SD40 I'm working on at the moment, but I couldn't find anything suitable in N - and I don't mind scratchbuilding!
DeleteI've got a very bad photo of the GMD1 somewhere James, I will have a look for it. I did a layout called Hunter, Saskatchewan, it didn't really get a good reception at the show it went to and I took it apart after a year or so.
ReplyDelete