Old school…

The way a soft pencil moves over paper, smooth yet with a subtle feedback through the finger tips. Tracing lines from mind to reality, sketching out ideas almost without thinking, as if the act of creating marks is an intangible but integral part of the process…


It was a hot day - sat in the partial shade with a cold (alcohol free) beer and Iain Rice’s ‘An Approach to Model Railway Layout Design - Finescale in Small Spaces’ was a pleasant way to spend some time and sit out the heat of the house. I’m not sure if it was the heat, the book or the beer but I felt an urge to do draft some layout ideas - and instead of reaching for the very iPad I’m typing this upon, I found an old school square paper note book (useful for scale) and a lovely soft pencil, free many years ago at a conference in my old life.

I’ve always been drawn to the Devon branch-line to Hemyock. From my very first ‘solo’ project via plans in between this slightly obscure and untypical prototype keeps playing on loop in my subconscious. In Iain’s book he re-imagines the branch and creates a typical Rice scheme featuring extravagant yet untypical point work. It was this catalyst that led to the first sketch as I imagined a skewed a run round loop across an IKEA Lack shelf with some kick back sidings…


The soft flow of the pencil on paper was an act of exercising muscle memory - both physical and mental… almost one step ahead of each stroke on the paper, nudging, adjusting and reflecting on what followed. Flipping things gave a nicer flow, and allowed the old station to hide the train a touch… for here I imagine the setting to be my typical 1950s onwards, grubby tank engines and early diesels. Tired right of way and eking out an existence.

The dairy, stage left, inspired by Hemyock takes fuel oil (front) and milk tank wagons (back - through the old platform and across the road). On the right is a feed mill, from Uffculme but with echoes of the Prairie Sentinels I’ve been distracted by more recently. Here grain wagons and the occasional van serve the siding beyond the abandoned cattle dock. Coal in 16t minerals and occasional other agricultural equipment arrive in the front siding served by an attractive lattice crane.


When I conceived this I had in mind Peco Code 75 bullhead and small radius turnouts. All structures to be scratchbuilt or kit bashed. A roughly 4x1 cameo… it would appreciate a touch more space to breathe - so my mind turned to N? But here, the lack of a semi-scale ready to lay track system does trip us up… and thoughts of more Peco Code 55 experiments resurface. For the short two axle wagons and small locomotives would not work well on the gigantic gap between rails at the frog, designed for old Farish pizza-cutters despite the ‘finescale’  description.

It was all too quickly time to make dinner and I put the book and pencil back down, but that experience was deeply enjoyable. Sharing that here I hope I encourage us all back to exploring the beauty of working ‘offline’ and perhaps consider more deliberately our interaction with the internet, forums and social media. Will I build it? Who knows - but it was good fun being back in this space. Until next time, more soon… 



Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. Surely crying out for a Dapol D6300 in N ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the CVR was one of those lines that seems to have lasted quite a bit longer than you'd think, I really like some of the photos from its last few years with early diesels.

      Delete
    2. Couldn't agree more Simon. It's magical seeing the photos of the line with early diesels.

      Delete
    3. Thanks all. Yes, I had one of those a few years ago - sold when I refocused my model collection - it released some needed funds but of course, now feels short sighted!

      Otherwise an 03 and 14xx in O or OO, and a 03 74xx in N. A relocation might allow a Class 14 too?

      Delete
  2. James, I really enjoyed reading this entry. I find that there is a level of satisfaction from drawing out ideas with a soft pencil - the sensation of how the pencil glides over the paper in particular.

    Your musings on the CVR focus my mind on my ideas for my first forays into O gauge too. Some of your ideas lend themselves perfectly into this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Simon I find some of James ideas are very attractive to my chosen scale of 0 gauge too. I have asked him to look into a design for small end to end shelf style layout for me.

      Delete
    2. I think the problem with O would be space. You’re going to need 2’ depth - if you’ve got that great, but most of use don’t if we’re in the main communal parts of the home…

      That said, if you do have the space, I think the physical presence of a project like this would be very satisfying!

      Delete
  3. Cracking little plan James! One of my favourite plans penned by Iain Rice too. There's something magical about the Culm valley line, I've seen photos of a class 31 and GUV on the line, I think they're on the Cornwall Railway society website. I'm already committed to Penpont goods but this is very interesting. I'm away this week and have taken the new Cameo book with me, to Chagford of all places, Iain's old stamping ground.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to hunt out that Class 31 photo Tom. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Ah, thanks Tom. Enjoy your holiday!

      Delete
  4. Being...old...I was brought up with a pencil and paper and pen. So find the use of computers rather clunky.
    They are great, when it comes to detailed drawings. I use MS Word as it is a simple package that is not subject to upgrades that delete previous work. (You can produce scale drawings with this.)

    Yes the blank paper pencil and imagination, and I can idle away hours sketching up all sorts of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. There are certainly tools that can help a process at different stages, but the fact so many seem to prefer the analog over the ‘digital’ I think is quite telling. I wonder if the youngsters of today will feel the same…

      Delete
  5. I still love drawing layout plans in 'analogue' mode. Pencil and paper are my chosen medium for daydreaming. I then move on to full size planning with rolling stock and paper templates.

    From all the comments above, it's nice to know others still feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why we reach for a pencil and paper, quite what is it about the freedom these tools give us… I read ge Eric throw away comments about the ‘process’ but I’m interested in what really motivates and drives a modeller and their preferences, their tool choice and their approach… it can be difficult to distill but I’ll keep writing about my own journey here and hopefully it might help others follow…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.