Tiny van fits the jigsaw…
Sometimes I find it’s good to jump from one project to another. The piece or work required may be fresh, or favourite. The task may be bigger or smaller matching available time. It is like finding the right piece to fit life’s jigsaw in that moment…
This small plastic van from Oxford Diecast (none of it appears die-cast, that’s a good thing) is one such distraction. The pen behind shows it’s small size, a ‘modern’ 2006 registered vehicle destined for my Modern Goods project. A pleasant hour transforming its high gloss toy like appearance to something that will add rather than detract from the scenes I have in my mind.
Removing the steel front axles and replacing with some bent brass to give the wheels a bit of ‘steer’ is one massive transformation. A second is sanding flats on the plastic tyres. Then a coat of satin lacquer including the glazing dulls the gloss down. On the window it actually removes the toy like prism effect too, especially in N where the body is a single piece of clear plastic that is strategically painted. Weathering is 33/98 on the tyres, wheels and lower body. A touch of green adds to that lichen growth that I’ve seen too many times on van roofs for it to be a coincidence.
Small, easy, straight forward and mindful steps.
The result is pleasing.
The longer term layout now feels alive once more.
Finding a jigsaw piece for your model railway opportunity this weekend, this evening, this moment is about being open to work beyond your current muse. In all the years I’ve been doing this I’ve always found that what others term distraction are for me, parallel and equally important strands, ribbons if you like, all being woven into the final piece of art, the works of my life. Hopefully some way off! Until next time more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

The manky roof is a great touch.
ReplyDelete