British Industrial Sand PGA in N (part 3)...

In the past week or so a pair of wagons has appeared in photographs and videos - but until now, has not been described in a little more detail. In Part 1 I introduced the project and made a good start on the first wagon, in Part 2 I had got the pair ready for painting. Today let's wrap things up...


If you remember these models started out as Cavalex Redland PGA wagons - but unlike Graham Farish in the 1980s I wasn't satisfied with just sticking the sand livery on a 'nearly' right model - instead I stripped them down to component parts and modified the profile, added detail and created custom parts. 


The finishing touch though are the markings - these are waterslide decals I designed and had printed especially for the project. I couldn't find any artwork for the BIS logo, so this was drawn up by hand (the type was easier to recreate). I chose a washed out colour, rather than 'as built' bright orange as my intent was to represent these wagons towards the end of Speedlink, when they operated in short trains between Holmethorpe (near Redhill, Surrey) and the Lever factory at Warrington (Bank Quay).


I also drew up some data panels, but relied upon Fox and N Gauge Society markings for some of the other smaller pieces on the lower body sides. Once applied over a gloss lacquer they were sealed with satin lacquer and then the wagons were weathered, lightly - in my usual manner (Humbrol 98/33 washes and removal). To finish them off a sand load was created (allowing me to hide some weight inside the wagon too, fluid lead and superglue), simply a sheet of styrene cut to size, some slight mounds added with filler, painted with Humbrol 110 and drowned in sand from a beach and left to dry, before cleaning up and fitting... 

I recognise myself going through the motions today, describing each step as a cold clinical process. That misses the point a little - for these wagons exist because of me, and because I wanted to make them. Not just for the finished result, but because I enjoy the processes and the approach. 


You may well be thinking 'don't those Cavalex PGA come as a pack of 3?' and you'd be right. There is a third sat on my bench, in bits - but this isn't destined to become a sand hopper - rather a rather more involved re-build. I am keen to try one of the Tullis Russel PAAs with their taller appearance because of the steeper angle of their hopper sides and thinner body ribs. This will be another enjoyable project I'm sure - but one for another day. Until next time, more soon...




Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.


Comments

  1. Superb! Really effective wagon detailing James. Naturally, I can't wait to see the Tullis Russell wagon break cover! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! It might be a while but I’ve got the drawing and wagon stripped down.

      Delete
  2. This isn't my sort of subject - doubt I'll ever model anything even remotely modern (What is a TOPS number?- only kidding, and I do actually have some photos of the Yeoman ones) but it does show how getting a lot of small things right makes the model look right, even if you don't know the prototype. There is one small thing, going back to my photos and Paul Bartlett's more definitive ones: after any time in use, the underframes seem to have been more of a bluish grey than black. And the BIS ones seem to have had a lot of writing on the chassis as well and slightly different steps? I know I'm nitpicking at this point, and who am I to talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right about text on the chassis, and minor details being wrong. It’s about what is achievable in N without going overboard on custom etching etc etc… however photos I’ve seen show the chassis as black - hence why I’ve gone for a weathered black finish.

      It’s more about what feels right in my modelling - I can accept discrepancies in minor detail but not major shape… hence my assessment of the prototype and decisions I make…

      Delete
    2. I should add - as always - I welcome the conversation and reflection James, it is always good to hear from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.