Friday Update: Eleven Nine Twenty-six

Welcome to another round up of what has been happening in the workshop this week. Two commissions out the door, and a third finished - progress on new models and old, and some personal projects too! Get yourself comfortable and we'll make a start...


The big news this week - Dawson Creek is complete! My latest 009 layout build has been lovingly crafted with quite a generous brief from my customer allowing me to really build a James Hilton narrow gauge layout - and I have enjoyed it immensely. I won't wax lyrical too much today, suffice to say I'll look forward to a photoshoot and video with the completed layout next week - look out for that at some point in the future! Here, a Bachmann Baldwin (Hummy originally) from East Works, third hand (ex-Ashover, hence the cab) is seen on shed alongside the Tees - this windswept location is bleak in winter - and I hope to have captured some of this in the model...


This railbus has been in the works for what seems like an eternity. Sometimes simple jobs take a lot longer than you envisage. With part availability, drive availability and then the simple nature of waiting for laser cut and etched parts - and the time taken to scratchbuild items (like the roof) it is slowly getting there. This week the interior detail has started, wiring is complete and the roof is nearly finished (smooth, fill, smooth fill, smooth fill). Couplings are next, when I work out what to fit! This is approximately 16mm to the foot and is full of character - a caricature if ever there was one - but I love it. I've got some etched nickel silver window frames to add at the end - which will really finish off the planned ivory and green livery.


I've a batch of Manning Wardle cab conversions coming up in the next few weeks - this first one is actually a complete make-over - and will be finished in Manning Wardle lined green which is going to be a bit of a test of what I can achieve I think. The other models are a little more straight forward - expect these to pop up in the coming Friday updates as they are slotted around bigger commissions.


Pictured here before weathering, the Rio Tinto conversion of a MLW RSC14 is now weathered and left for home yesterday - so that will feature in a Commission Monday sometime in the next few weeks - this has been a fun project, although again, has put me in awe of the staff at the Chinese factory. Assembling painted models must test patience - it was bad enough working on this one 'in the raw' before painting. I hope that the subtle modifications I've made give the unit an 'export' appearance and it should blend in with the Victory and Ruston I have completed previously!


On the personal front, as well as the new Mosslanda I've been working on some N scale CP rail models. Beyond the GP38-2 that is slowly progressing is this simpler repaint of an Atlas S4 into the later style of CP Rail with cab side number and wider stripes. This represents 7035 which gained AAR trucks at some point in its life. The Kaslo Shops plywood van is now assembled. Both models are painted with Humbrol enamels, gloss lacquered and I've applied decals I designed specifically for them based upon the original specifications for the multi-mark and herald. These thin film decals work well over raised detail - important on the hood of the S4! I look forward to finishing them both off - perhaps over the weekend.

I wanted to say thank you to all of you who stop by and leave comments and engage with the material I produce every day - as well as those who watch a video (and advert), buy me a coffee, are a member on YouTube or make a regular Paypal donation. The adverts and proceeds of all that make a meaningful contribution here every month and I don't take any of it for granted. 

This weekend sees the end of the 50th anniversary of preservation on the Llangollen so I'll be about all weekend - do let me know if you're around and I'd love to say hello - especially over a pint at Glyn! I'd also like to cut some wood for the new Mosslanda - but recognise that the garden needs some attention after this well needed rain - autumn has finally arrived it seems! Whatever your plans, I hope you can find a moment for your hobby - until next time, more soon...


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. I do like Dawson Creek, and the vague resemblance to Shell Island

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.