On video: Paxton Road with (and without) sound…

Until yesterday every video of Paxton Road was filmed on DC with just the sound of the mechanism and my voice. I wondered what it would be like to operate with DCC and one of my sound fitted 08s… 

:: click image to watch on YouTube ::

The result is shared here in this short film, put together on Sunday night. Whilst it was good fun to play with the model and produce this little edit, I’m not convinced for two reasons. Paxton Road uses DG couplings and undertrack uncoupling magnets, sometimes these require a little ‘back and forth’ over the magnet to get them to release - this isn’t easy with a DCC fitted model. Secondly, whilst sound adds something to the ambience, the controller breaks the mindful connection, every move becomes deliberate, checking functions, checking direction. DC is tactile, grounding and connected…

So strong was this feeling that I filmed a second edit using 03179 on pure DC - no sound...

:: click image to watch on YouTube ::

... and what a comparison. Whilst you may not agree, I think this proves my point entirely - it certainly did to me - fresh with the DCC experience in mind I found this quieter, calmer, more deliberate and immersive experience one I wanted to repeat - in fact I've just done a little more shunting already this morning.

This isn't intended to be a big debate on sound or not - just a modellers reflection that whilst I enjoy the experience at times (especially on Beaverbrook) certain layouts, certain experiences work better without it. So enjoy this experiment - normal service will resume shortly! Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.



Comments

  1. Morning James, a great pair of videos and just what I needed to calm myself down before painting the bathroom ceiling. Strangely, I enjoyed both videos equally, even though I have no DCC locos I still enjoy a bit of sound from time to time, only yesterday I was watching a clip of some switching on Mike Confalone's Allagash railroad and there were clear similarities, a well detailed and sincere scene and great models. I think the DC clip was calmer, the lack of sound helping to relax me. I'm used to shunting layouts with no sound so there's a familiarity there too. I loved the low angle, close up footage, particularly from the left hand side under the oak tree. Just a thought about the VBA van, I'm amazed at how well it sits with the super detailed stock given it's age and basic origins as a model, I think TPM owner Bernard Taylor had some input into it's design and that TPM did a detailing kit for the chassis, there's a rectangular slot underneath were a white metal chassis modification can be glued in. In the past I have had detailing kits for Farish straight barrelled tank wagons which included brass ladders and chassis details. Anyway, I'm procrastinating, there's a ceiling that needs painting! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom - for all of that and those reflections. I always value your thoughts, notes and engagement... of course we're all wondering, how did the ceiling go?!!

      Delete
  2. Hi James,
    Visually, I really enjoyed watching my favourite 09 doing its thing, and the wagonry on display is wonderfully evocative for me. The sound, er, sounds like the real thing but I can live without it. Might watch it again with the volume down...
    I've had a similar internal debate about sound (or not) with my German H0; while I'm steadily going through my locos and fitting decoders, they're all silent.
    The one sound-fitted loco I have, a DB V80 (early centre-cab diesel) comes out occasionally, but doesn't tend to stay out for long; I think it really needs a keep-alive as it's very prone the sound resetting itself and while I do mildly enjoy the sound it's not enough to convince me to buy any more equipped locos.
    if I switch the sound off, it still clicks, pops and farts, which is REALLY irritating to the point where I don't often bother getting the loco out of its box, so I'm actually considering removing it altogether, perhaps sell on the chip and speaker?
    I suppose I prefer letting my imagination fill in the sounds.
    Off to the DFR in a bit, hopefully one or other of their shunters will be running about...
    Cheers, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a thoughtful and considered reflection that in general does get to the nub of many problems with DCC sound. I’m inclined to agree that for your use, it probably doesn’t add much… as I found here - yet on Beaverbrook it just feels wrong without it.

      It was interesting; my good friend Chris reflected to me yesterday that perhaps a layout is designed with sound and DCC operation in mind, like a layer in the process… Beaverbrook was always sound. It works as a result, unconscious decisions perhaps made with that intent?

      Delete
  3. The bathroom ceiling is all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news! We can all sleep well tonight hehe.

      Delete
  4. Well James, you really know how to cause some fuss in my mind. There I was happily running my US Outline DCC N scale up and down my test track, and you post this and the silent DC running video.
    You're right I think that some layouts are too small for DCC. You set the locomotive running and have to think about when you have to stop it to allow the momentum to run out. I accidentally hit f8 and I wonder why the loco goes silent...
    So I got my 009 stock out and did the same shunting. You turn the controller, the train moves, move the control back the loco stops. Throw the switch it can move in the other direction. So simple, allowing you to lose yourself in it. I know what a Double Fairlie or an England loco sounds like. Do I need the sound?
    Thought provoking writing James. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian, I’m glad it got you thinking deliberately about control systems and sound in any future layout design - I really do think they should be a serious part in the process, to align what works with the space available.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.