Hudson Hunslet in 7/8ths: green all over...


Over the past few days and at the weekend I managed to get some paint onto the prototype Hudson Hunslet, which, as usual, has brought it to life...
I plumped for Humbrol 131 'Satin Green' for my model, which I fear may be a mistake in the long run for photography as it blends too nicely with the grass! However, I wanted a distinctively different shade to my Motor Rail Simplex 40S, and I've a few other models in mind that will need to be darker green, so 131, my favourite in the smaller scales, seemed a good bet.
She does look good in it mind, although I expect the prototype were mid-bronze green on delivery, probably all over, whereas I've chosen to pick out the axle boxes and couplers in dirty black., and also painted some of the pipework and belts in a browny, grey black mix.
The exhaust is just 53 'Gun-metal'. The next job will be some judicious weathering, not over the top, but enough to give the impression of a few years work. Dirty footplates, worn paint in the cab, a few chips and scratches should do the trick.
Now the prototype is finished, I can begin on the production models, starting with the 32mm gauge commissions. These will be on the workbench later this week. In the meantime, I've been doing some extensive 'testing', all in the name of quality you understand, not just for my own entertainment.
Finally, a shot showing the lovely detail that has been captured in the cab, can you believe I'll be building some of the production batch with cabs! More soon...

Comments