Friday update: Twelve seven nineteen...

Another week already, and I'm currently surrounded by large scale commissions, however, it's been a varied week and I'll try and cover the hi-lights...
Canal Street Wharf has been invited to attend ExpoNG in October - and so it's been out of storage for completion. This has involved adding a little more greenery around the standard gauge siding to make it look more abandoned, adding some more fencing and some 'clutter' including old pallets, a bike, an old wagon chassis and some signs.

However most importantly the riverside wall has been finished, painted, weathered and a sheet of 1mm plastic fixed in place to represent the water. This was simply sprayed black on the reverse, and glued down with PVA. The 1mm thickness means you don't get any off effects at the side of the water effect, and although it might be better in dark brown rather than black, it's pretty effective. All that's left now is to finish off the crane and a few items of rolling stock, but otherwise, ready for the show. However East Works, also invited has still to be started!

I went over to see Steve on Monday and collect the final laser cut parts for the Hudson Hunslet batch, which included the cabs. The final part of the model so to speak. I quickly assembled one of each type to check the parts but also mock up for my customers what their models could be expected to look like - the Trevor style cab with porthole windows is tall to allow a standing figure, and gives the loco a very cute appearance. The squat, ramshackle looking Hare Crag cab gives it's it a much more compact appearance, and could do with a seated driver figure.
After that success, I moved on to begin the other pair of the 32mm trio that were ordered, and although not finished in this shot below, they're now sat on my windowsill awaiting just final detailing. However, a request for sound in a pair of them will hold up painting until I've worked out how to include this given the lower voltage battery pack which means I can't use my preferred ITT sound card.

Finally, a little personal modelling - I've had a soft spot for Baldwins but couldn't really justify one, but then I wondered, for East Works, my Purbeck follow up, could one of the Ashover locos have been sourced and breathed over to give a few years work alongside Russell at Norden? With that in mind, and after playing with John Wooden's layout where they ran beautifully a few weeks ago, I picked up a cheap Hummy and set to work designing a 'Peggy' style rear cab. I did ponder doing it in etched metal, or even scratch building, but in the end plumped for a 3D design and this has now been printed on the Narrow Planet resin based printer, and I'm just waiting photos and delivery soon! This printer has been a boom for prototyping, and parts like this are a good test of it's resolution and capabilities - as well as keeping us up to speed on it's use!
The holidays are quickly approaching, so my apologies to any customers waiting on work, but this next week is the last full week before I have family commitments which impact work over the school holidays. I'll keep everyone informed of progress, but please bear with me. More soon...

Comments

  1. James, I love your modelling blogs, I never cease to be amazed at how lifelike your results are. I particularly like the Hudson Hunslet without the cab roof. I had an Andel version for 16mm gauge, which I must try to finish, but yours have much so more detail, in particular the engine area. Thanks for posting and best wishes, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I'm pleased people enjoy reading my rambles... good luck with your 16mm Hudson Hunslet. Happy modelling, James

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.