Commission: LMS hopper in progress...

It's not all large scale narrow gauge commissions here, I've mentioned this wagon before on the blog, but thought with recent progress it deserved it's own post...
The wagon, a LMS 21t 10ft6in wheelbase iron ore hopper has been somewhat a labour of love. Despite reading a copy of Geoff Kent's excellent article in Model Railway Journal, as my customer required a OO version I've driven my own way and trodden a path between fidelity and character that hopefully matches that of my narrow gauge modelling, whilst resulting in a believable and well finished model.
A Parkside chassis has been lengthened and strengthened and a 15 thou styrene hopper body fabricated, measured from a scale drawing. Side strapping is micro-strip and the rivets have been painstakingly added with resin rivet transfers. A representation of the door operating mechanism has been made in styrene from rod and offcuts of 15thou sheet from the bodywork.
The model here has been primed so show where needs a little work - there are a few obvious things to remedy, before a second light spray of grey. Once I'm happy I will then make a start on the second of the pair!
If there is a model you'd love in your collection that is not readily available I am happy to scratch build a model in any scale or gauge. Get in touch for your own personal proposal and unique price. More soon...

Comments