Childhood models: Lima Western...

I started model making as a child with my Dad and my best friend Tim providing guidance, encouragement and inspiration. I was also lucky my Grandpa had a large library of books and photos, and too was a model maker. It was almost inevitable, with that mix, that model making and especially railways would play such a large role in my life...
Today's blog post shares some photos I've taken today of a model that's very dear to me - my first OO gauge diesel model, bought by my Dad I think when I was still very young. There are old slides of a train set on the floor with the GWR Airfix/GMR Castle set he'd bought 'me' when I was born (!!) and the Western with a trio of three Hornby 'modern' wagons (a TTA in Gulf, a VDA in Railfreight and a HAA coal hopper - I still own all three)...

Obviously over the years I modified and weathered it several times. It appears it ended up with a faux TOPS identity and some rather over the top, yet still carefully applied weathering. I note, the finesse with which the 15 year old me has painted some of the markings by hand! All of this was pre-airbrush for me, using washes, dry brushing and powders alone.
It just goes to show, I think, that the courage to break out the tools on a treasured model to attempt to recreate something more realistic, started young for me - this was not the first attempt art this model - I suspect the handrails and Craftsman detailing kit had been fitted 2 or 3 years earlier. Towards the end of my teens I weathered some Mainline steam engines, I still have a pair of these, and they'd pass muster today, but perhaps this is something to share another day. More soon...

Comments

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWRhWlsD1g

    SON: But I don't want any of that, I'd rather ...
    FATHER: Rather what?
    SON: I'd rather ... just ... sing ...
    MUSIC INTRO
    FATHER: You're not going to do a song while I'm here! Now, sit in the corner and build model trains like a proper lad!

    With apologies to Monty Python.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice model and thanks for showing it. Too many people think skilled modelmakers are born. They rarely see the collection of earlier and cruder works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I must dig out the ones that seem very basic now, and a few I was quite proud of as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.