East Works: It's always sunny...

One of the great things about a model railway is the 'nostalgia' effect, it allows us to escape to somewhere we find comfort, and at the current time, that's even more important than ever. East Works is my 009 exhibition layout, but is equally at home set up in my lounge...
SRB kit built Peckett 'Goathorn' and scratch build Black Hawthorn 'Lady Jane' at the works outside the mill. An old chassis leaning against the workshop in the foreground. The line to Ridge was lifted, but the sleepers here remain in the works area (in front of the Peckett).
I've had a rough weekend, a very low mood on Saturday. I don't think we talk about these things enough - our mindset. Life is full of ups and downs, I had depression a few years ago, and these days notice my mind a lot more than I ever used to... I think it's all part of it, and try to focus on my purpose on these days. I also find that my modelling can be a real tonic - it's very mindful, as in, all encompassing for the senses and mind, to either built a kit, paint a locomotive, craft a tree... or in this case, operate a layout. It's tactile, it delights the senses, and it's good to get lost in the miniature and let the mind quiet...
Robex models Hunslet 'Russell' on shed, the shed is inspired by the shed on the Norden system, in the undergrowth can be seen Russell's front pony truck. The stand pipe is from a Ratio cattle dock.
My own miniature worlds often seem to depict summer days, I'm not quite sure why, but both Creech Bottom and East Works depict an area and time of Dorset that I'm not entirely familiar with... my grandparents lived along the coast towards Weymouth, and obviously I wasn't alive in the 1950s, however I spent many summer weeks walking the coast path or down on the beach, perhaps it is these feelings and memories I'm trying to evoke in the layout.
The EuroNG LKM NS2 about to leave for the mines with an empty rake of tippers, built from 3D prints on Shapeways.
These photos were taken using both my iPhone and decent camera - in fact the iPhone takes better photos, as long as you adjust the white point manually afterwards. An enjoyable afternoon here in these photos. I hope you're all well, and you find the hobby as rewarding in your own way as I do, take care of yourselves.

More soon...

Comments

  1. James - You're so right, we need to recognise and do business with our mental health and if we learn nothing else from these times, that would be valuable lesson. And model-making (and playing trains!) is indeed a great way for a little escape amid the stresses. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you were struggling with a low mood/depression, and you're absolutely right with regards to modelling being a tonic. It doesn't usually solve problems, but it does take your mind off things, and might even help to relax or help you see things from a different perspective; I know it has for me a few times. Certainly a big part of the reason why I love this hobby is that there is so much to gain from doing it; learning new skills, recreating your ideal/an inspirational scenario, letting your creative side out etc.

    Being able to create, or recreate a scene, even if you know next-to-nothing about it to begin with is a huge accomplishment in its own right; yet to the outside world, it's almost possible to understand just how much work goes into a layout like East Works. What's more, all of your layouts have your hallmark; subtle well-observed colouring and weathering, and the simple, somewhat sparse, yet extremely effective nature of your layouts.

    In any case, I'm glad that you're able to set the layout up inside, and that it really helped lift your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said James. I also used railway modelling to help deal with my own mental health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, I am a keen follower of your blog as I find your work truly inspiring. It is wonderful that you share openly not only the result of your work but also entries like this one. I can only share your view that the hobby can be a great escape. But I have to admit that I also had to learn to truly enjoy it at some times. It is great to solve problems, try again and again if something does not work - but sometimes the strive for perfection to the last rivet can also be burdensome. I had to learn to let go and "just enjoy it" if I went overboard.

    Indirectly you also gave a good argument for micro-layouts. I am currently busy with a new layout, but have a small Inglenook layout finished that I have taken to a number of exhibitions already. Taking a break from the new (bare) layout and operating the finished one, experiencing in action what was accomplished already, gives a good feeling and encourages me to go on with the new one. Micro layouts can give you a result much faster, allow you to use your skills on all aspects of the hobby quickly and can be stored and enjoyed more easily.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I've been up and down over recent weeks with some days where focus has been impossible. Being able to lose myself in a project helps but it has (for me) to be a fairly simple one where I see progress. Looking at a couple of hours work and seeing something tangible for my efforts is a massive help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all - it's lovely to read such positive messages and encouragement. I'm glad that my modelling and rambling proves interesting, and that others share the same experience with life and model making as I do, I think it's a truly wonderful hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.