Friday Update: Twenty Two Five Twenty...

This has been a varied week, and I've found that custom transfer design and kit design fit around home schooling better than anything...
Canopus was dug back out - despite the lack of etching progress, I felt it was worth pushing the CAD forward. The cylinders are now positioned to allow clearance for the rods, and I've added a mounting for the pony truck under the cab. The next step will be to add a hole to mount the white metal chimney in the smokebox, and then it's pretty much ready for prototyping, which is an exciting milestone this year, a real move forwards for one of my Narrow Planet kits in terms of detail and realism.
Plenty of walks this week with the dog, we're lucky to live in such a lovely spot. The weather has been windy but mild, warm even, and my new Monty Don gardening book will help push forwards my plans for redeveloping the garden.
I've had Pont-y-dulais set up for some 'testing' and it was interesting to see that both my GWR stock, and the Devonport train (along with me driving) suited the layout. The polystyrene ceiling tiles have been cut up for the basic formation of scenery but I've not managed to start on the plaster mod-roc bandage covering yet, perhaps one for this weekend, although I'm pondering on the best order for scenic steps on this new micro...
Finally, in these times of reduced if not no output from the Narrow Planet etching supplier, I've drawn up the parts for the 006.5 Ubique to be entirely printed on our in house resin printer. The cab, bonnet and chassis are separate parts that glue together and fit over the Busch NS2 mechanism. Once I've tested the prototype this will allow us to get something out to our customers whilst we're waiting to release other kits like the Manning Wardle.

The lockdown and social distancing is becoming the new normal. I think in this, mental health awareness week, I've turned the corner on it and am feeling more accepting of the situation. It is unlikely our children here in Wales will be back in school this academic year, and it's unclear whether we'll be able to go on our holidays this summer. It will be a trying time for some time to come, I hope you're all well, and reading my ramblings continues to bring some small pleasure. Remember, despite reduced capacity I am continuing to work so if you have a small weathering or refinishing job, or custom transfers you need, then get in touch for a proposal. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. A printed body as a kit of parts rather than made in one piece - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking future kits there James!

    Will 'Canopus' use the Grafar 08 chassis, or will you do a custom chassis block that you put the parts from the 08 into, like the Lyd2 you are working on?

    Inspiring and motivational stuff as always...

    JB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.